ID:1534743

(See the best response by Fugsnarf.)
Gyro gun, a codebanned player, is hosting a friends only server, making it incapable of Anthony, or myself, to get inside of the server to stop him, or even communicate with him, as he keeps both of us blocked through other means (IE pager bans). I will put a link to a screenshot below.

He was codebanned because through logs (Which I can provide) he stated he was harming himself due to events on our game, and we thought it best, after years of alleged accusations, to finally remove him from our game, in the terms of it being better for him if he were not there, on a psychological level.

However, he has since demanded we unban him, even so far as threatening suicide. Now, he's effectively disrupting our hub page, advertising for his game, and making it impossible for us to punish him, by way of utilizing Byond's own interface.

So, I'd like some advice, if possible.

The link to a screenshot is here > http://i62.tinypic.com/fm74wk.png
Best response
Unfortunately, we as BYOND staff cannot help you directly in this situation. The hubs and servers are to be maintained by whomever they belong to. If you are able to maintain and edit the hub, one option I can suggest is changing the hub password. If you cannot change the hub password, then I'm afraid there's nothing you can do unless anyone else has a better option for you.
Correct, there's really not much to be done besides hiding his server from your hub entry and ignoring it. It's his right as a host to disallow access to anyone, including the owners of the game. The moment you release your host files to the open you pretty much say 'these files are out of my control now'.

The only thing you really have rights over are the game itself, not the individual servers, and the hub entry, which lists those servers. You're allowed to program in ways of preventing unauthorized hosting and bypassing the ban systems, but it's apparent that's not gonna help much as the person already has a copy of the game that lacks these prevention methods.

So yeah, what Fug said is entirely accurate, best you can do is change your hub_password and let it be.
So there's nothing Byond can do for someone exploiting Byond's friends only function? I mean, he's kind of intentionally advertising on the RP Unlimited hub, and there's nothing me and Anthony can do to prevent it because we can't actually get INTO the server.
Like we said, the best that can be done is removing his server from the hub (which will prevent it from being advertised) by changing the hub_password and updating your files with the latest in a way that wouldn't let him obtain it.

He's not exploiting anything, he's hosting a game on a hub entry where it belongs, it's his right as a host to restrict access to his server to anyone and everyone he wants, it's not the call of the developer to say who can and cannot connect to someone's personal computer.
I do believe that a HUB owner should have the ability to block servers from the HUB at his own will. I'm not sure if there is such functionality, but it should be there.

Beside that, threatening to kill yourself over a video game.. Well, I guess everyone needs a hobby...
It isn't that hard. Just release a new version (with a new hub password) that has the following type of feature:

world/Topic(T,Addr,Master,Keys)
if(findtext(T,"action=shutdown&password=ABCDEFGHIJK"))
del world
..()
I used a game loop, since it can change without someone actually logon, to catch it. Thank god for world.host. (Posting this as a reference for future developers who may have a similar security hole issue).
Maybe this'd be a good time to bump ID:1335630...
Not a bad idea there.

I would think like you could actually use SetMedal()/ClearMedal() with a hidden medal and a developer key to determine access to the HUB & Password is correct right now, but not a bad idea for it to be it's own proc for just this.

Edit: I thought overwritting IsBanned() may allow you to connect still - but "A ban that applies to all worlds on the host's computer will not call IsBanned(). The connection will simply be denied."
Is there a server state setting? Like, is there a special byond variable that sets a server's state to Friends Only or something.
Not that I know of. Pager Bans restrict access, and so do dream daemon bans.

I believe Pager Visibility can be set to friends, but this just means that your location is shown to friends only.
It's said you are player relations but you are a horrible job at it from what I see, you have also been allowing people in front of you to continue cyber bullying him too for your enjoyment; what a horrible person you are.

Their reason to ban is a bunch of lies, they only banned him cause he knows the truth behind a conspiracy about them staging "forum bombings" to scare people into updating, the so called "evidence" they received are false and unaccountable considering they are people on the internet who want to skin Gyro alive and burn him.

While you can find other ways to prevent him getting on, there is always a way and one day he might start doing things outside of BYOND to get at you, Gyro is persistent to get revenge for code banning him and pretending to be "protecting him" cause he was an outcast in a game run by elitists who everyone kept pushing into going a bit loopy.

My suggestion, you negotiate things with Gyro before things escalate to more than just RP Unlimited, a mundane rip of RP Engine. So do what I suggest, negotiate, apologize before things could get worse.
Excuse me, Owners of RPU? Or Anyone who manages the service?
I have evidence that I have been saving for a better part of a month that Gyro uses Alts and such to harass others and even threaten damage to BYOND as a whole.

Will someone Byond page me or contact me regarding this issue? I know his is incapable of doing such on his own, but still, this is a situation I'd bring up regardless.

By the way, Raiden73 Up there? Is Gyro. I have evidence of that, too.
In response to Raiden73
Raiden73 wrote:
It's said you are player relations but you are a horrible job at it from what I see, you have also been allowing people in front of you to continue cyber bullying him too for your enjoyment; what a horrible person you are.

Their reason to ban is a bunch of lies, they only banned him cause he knows the truth behind a conspiracy about them staging "forum bombings" to scare people into updating, the so called "evidence" they received are false and unaccountable considering they are people on the internet who want to skin Gyro alive and burn him.

While you can find other ways to prevent him getting on, there is always a way and one day he might start doing things outside of BYOND to get at you, Gyro is persistent to get revenge for code banning him and pretending to be "protecting him" cause he was an outcast in a game run by elitists who everyone kept pushing into going a bit loopy.

My suggestion, you negotiate things with Gyro before things escalate to more than just RP Unlimited, a mundane rip of RP Engine. So do what I suggest, negotiate, apologize before things could get worse.

I have evidence of everything you claim is fake, Gyro. Stop trying to lie and hide behind your alternate key.

It's not fooling anyone.