ID:1536474

Ok so this might seem like a dumb question but i'm going to ask it anyway.

I was playing an emulation for pokemon yellow (no judging D: )

and i noticed something weird.

http://prntscr.com/373979

Now i noticed that all objects in the game sit on a 16x16 grid, but how's this:

http://prntscr.com/3739yj

possible?

I'm thinking the player box is actually bigger than it looks like 16 x 20 or something, but i'm not sure.

Can anyone confirm this?

I don't know why i'm even asking this or if this qualifies as the right place, it just BUGS the heck out of me....

and if they are 16x16, is it possible theres just something do with pixel movement or something, or overlays?
All character sprites in the Gameboy Pokemon games were shifted up by 4 pixels. They're still bound normally, the sprite is just visually different.
dumb question its 8 bit, never mind *facepalm*
In DM, you'd do this with pixel_y.
Thanks, i'll look into it.

But i think i figured out what they did.

Edit: Isn't doing that a complete waste of time though? Wouldn't I get an even better effect just by creating bottom icons with no density so they can walk infront of it (like they intended by doing this)?

Ah but then again, it'd probably be more time consuming to do all that.... I think i see what they were aiming for even though it was poorly executed.

Just goes to show you can make 3million on a game, and still have stupid stuff like that in it.

In response to Komuroto
Komuroto wrote:
Thanks, i'll look into it.

But i think i figured out what they did.

Edit: Isn't doing that a complete waste of time though? Wouldn't I get an even better effect just by creating bottom icons with no density so they can walk infront of it (like they intended by doing this)?

Ah but then again, it'd probably be more time consuming to do all that.... I think i see what they were aiming for even though it was poorly executed.

Just goes to show you can make 3 million on a game, and still have stupid stuff like that in it.

They wouldn't be able to "Walk in front of it" because the 16x16 boxes would never touch, they never do already. What your saying is shift EVERYTHING in the Pokemon world down 4 pixels, or shift the base up 4 pixels. No densities ever change in either scenario.
oooo i get it now.

Well that seems stupid to only do it by 4 pixels, i mean it doesn't look realistic. Shame on gamefreak.

In response to Komuroto
Komuroto wrote:
oooo i get it now.

Well that seems stupid to only do it by 4 pixels, i mean it doesn't look realistic. Shame on gamefreak.

E-excuse me? I don't really understand what kind of problem you have with the sprite being shifted a bit. It's not done for realism, so I'm not really sure where that's coming from. Even more so, I don't understand why you're upset that they decided to do something interesting with their sprite in a 16 year old game.
I don't mean to be malicious, and cannot one be curious about a game he enjoys?

Personally i just thought it would be more ascetically pleasing if they would've made more of an exaggerated use of it.

No need to be so brash, friend.