ID:153710

What the best way to have an email be sent to the user when he registers. Im going to use a system where you have basically User Names and Passwords. And when you subscribe you need a email. Any ideas on how to send a email?
Mrhat99au wrote:
What the best way to have an email be sent to the user when he registers. Im going to use a system where you have basically User Names and Passwords. And when you subscribe you need a email. Any ideas on how to send a email?

Your game needs to be running on a server where you have shell access, most realistically a UNIX server. Then you can just use the shell() command to send email.
In response to Deadron
Deadron wrote:
Mrhat99au wrote:

Your game needs to be running on a server where you have shell access, most realistically a UNIX server. Then you can just use the shell() command to send email.

Would there be another way, for example using the pager, like sending a email to their byond specified email account, or just sending it to a specified email adress by the user?
In response to Mrhat99au
Mrhat99au wrote:
Would there be another way, for example using the pager, like sending a email to their byond specified email account, or just sending it to a specified email adress by the user?

You can use the SendPage() proc to send an email to the key's BYOND registered email account, but it is a client proc and requires authorization. That means you can't automate it to send email when you are not present.

Also, the pager is due for an overhaul in BYOND 4.0 and I'm not sure how that will impact the SendPage() proc.
In response to Mrhat99au
I'm not sure of your PHP knowledge or Perl scripting abilities, but with one of those 2 languages, if you could get the email from the person and somehow call your *.php or *.cgi script over the browser in a way to pass the email address it could then do whatever you wanted and send out any kind of automated message you wanted.

Key thing here is to get the email from the user and being able in BYOND to pass that in a semi-secure manner to your script.

LJR
In response to LordJR
LordJR wrote:
I'm not sure of your PHP knowledge or Perl scripting abilities, but with one of those 2 languages, if you could get the email from the person and somehow call your *.php or *.cgi script over the browser in a way to pass the email address it could then do whatever you wanted and send out any kind of automated message you wanted.

Fortunately, it's very easy to send data to a script. That's what world.Export() is for.
In response to Spuzzum
Thanks Spuzz.. well there you GO..
Its doable.. ;)

LJR
In response to LordJR
Ill see what i come up with, and report back later.