ID:153798

I've done a few but for some reason i'm still having trouble coding. I mean my Gauntlet game was my best attempt and it was a little simple but it was fun. Anyways, what do you think is the best starter tutorial?

ZBT by far. She's got the RPG edition, the strategy edition, and the text MUD edition. With the things you learn from all of those, you can get a good start on programming. After that, program a relatively simple game and add features to it until you get stuck on the code. Then search the forums for keywords like "score", "turns", "leveling" and read up on what you are stuck on. Keep progressing and learn as much as you can until you think you can move on. Make another game that is unlike the first (a board game, then a small RPG) and continue. Repeat until you feel comfortable with the language enough to make your dream game.
In response to Mertek
I've done 2 of ZBT's their my favourite but i think ill look over them again:P I've forgotten what i've learnt in the boardgame one. Oh well no other good ones?
Try reading the source code of A Step BYOND until you understand what it's doing. It helped me a lot.
In response to Gughunter
Gughunter wrote:
Try reading the source code of A Step BYOND until you understand what it's doing. It helped me a lot.

Which can be found at StepBYOND.

In addition, check out all the info in the FAQ. There are lots of little tutorials and such there.
In response to Mertek
You make it sound so easy -_-.

-= Kaclys =-