ID:153894

What do you think would be the best friendly fire system in a tactical war game, just prevent it or have some penalty for it? Like for example, HP or boot.
Drafonis wrote:
What do you think would be the best friendly fire system in a tactical war game, just prevent it or have some penalty for it? Like for example, HP or boot.

You could just delete the player that got shot... It would make a nice realistic approach to the game and give you a penalty of not being able to have a parner to help you in combat...

Punkrock546
It would probably depend a lot on the style of game. In a tactical war game it would probably be best to have it do exactly what it would if they werent on your team.
-DogMan
Have an option for the host to set friendly fire damage from 0% to 100%, so they can enable/disable/reduce it depending on their preference. Then set a friendly fire limit; if they do a certain amount of damage to players on their team and don't do a certain amount of damage to enemy players, they get booted. (For example, they do a total of 1000 damage to friendly players but less than 800 to enemy players.)

That will penalise team killers but still allow for accidents and allow the host to have their own preference for friendly fire. Letting them set the friendly fire limits would be good too.
In response to Crispy
In a better object-oriented approach, you should not have to worry about the differences between a bullet from an enemy or a friend - they are both deadly! This could be left up to the players/teams to deal with amongst their own. To me it should be obvious if I know the enemy is in front, then bullets hitting me in the back might just very well be coming from my team mates! (Although that may not be true all of the time)

Not worrying about where the bullet came from (except when hitting you of course) will make the game design simpler.
In response to Punkrock546
Well, Punkrock, there's one problem with your idea: game balance. That guy that got TKed might be a great player. Therefore, the team'd be short of experienced players later on in the round, thus causing death to the team. Although, probably booting is too harsh. Maybe transfer the TKer to a "jail" map unless there was an enemy within five tiles from the gunner in FRONT of the gunner. Although that still allows for accidents (such as sneak-ups), it's still the most efficient method (in my opinion). However, I wanted the public's opinion.
In response to Drafonis
I dont like the jail idea, how about something that made it so your kill count went down for every shot hit. If there is not a kill count per player, make it per team, but than some bad people on another team could join yours and kill all the people on yours and you lose the round because of cheating.
In response to Scoobert
I think the idea here is to penalise individuals for TKing, rather than their whole team... I still like my idea. :-)