ID:154020

This post relates to the game in production by myself. I am currently using a very simple movement system, coupled by a primitive shooting control. The user moves their character by way of the arrow keys, or the keypad. To shoot, they click the player they want to shoot at. Simple, no?

To aim even more precisely, there is a system to determine where you want your character to aim. High, center, and low. Aiming high results in a higher chance to hit the head, aiming center results in a higher chance to hit the torso, and aiming low results in a higher chance to hit the legs.

Now, I desire the gameplay to be slow, so the more your character is carrying, the slower they will move. This means every grenade, weapon, magazine, and attachment -will- slow your character down.

Knowing this, I want your general opinion of the game. I also want to know if you think the game will not be repetitive.

Thanks.
Make mobs 3 pieces, head, leg, and torso. You have to click on the pieces to fire at that specific spot. It's very hard to shoot while moving, after all. Certain automatic weapons allow you to click easier (for chasing) but you can't make aimed shots.
In response to Garthor
*cough* theres always macroing*cough*
In response to Garthor
That would be pretty hard to pull off, and making the character move synchronized would be an even larger task. About the difficulty shooting and moving...At the speed you are moving, it really isn't that difficult. All characters will die in 1 to 3 shots, depending on where the bullet hit, and the bullet's caliber. Not to much to do, right? See target, click on them before they can click on you.

What I am looking for is something that will add difficulty to the game, while still being realistic.
In response to Sariat
Easy solution: if you fire more than twice every 1/10 of a second, you explode. Also, there is a very nice way to keep people from macroing. Keep a tally of how many times they've fired, and have that as part of the input for the firing proc. You can't macro whatsoever. Know what I mean? Or should I show you?
In response to Mertek
To add a little useful info, remember that no one can macro MouseDown() when it has mouse_x and mouse_y arguments.

Thus, you could have the best of both worlds: check the mouse_y argument to see how high the player is aiming, and prevent macroing. Of course, like all Mouse??? commands, it causes a little extra lag.
In response to Garthor
Show me.
In response to Spuzzum
While that sounds like a great way to neutralize macroing, and I'll probably use it, I am still looking for a challenge in clicking other mobs. Hammering a mouse button over a mob doesn't really sound like a challenge, since there is a somewhat random chance to hit them. I haven't gotten a response yet. If you have -any- idea on how to add challenge to the current attacking procedure, please post here.
In response to Mertek
Yes, use s_missle(). so that the bullet heads towards them, but can be blocked off by walls. You should see how Ebonshadow's Kapture is like.
In response to Sariat
You could overwrite the .click command with a verb like this:
client/verb/noclick()
set name = ".click"
set hidden = 1

And there you go. No more .click macros.
Since it's been a few days since this post has been replied to, and I am still missing a decent idea for shooting, I shall bump it with this post.

I have knocked off the idea of using missiles to shoot bullets, since most players will be using automatic weapons loaded with 30 rounds of ammo. Imagine trying to track each one of those bullets with a missile proc. Way too much lag there.

I am considering using just plain old clicking and a semi-random chance to hit depending on where you aim, how far you are from the target, and your stance. It would be a lot less laggy for the players, and maybe a tad more fun.