ID:154059

What would be the easiest way, using the 4 cardinal directions, to do a 'freestyle movement', rather than the current tile-based method. I am currently toying with the new pixel variables for the first time, and I am just curious as to how "everyone" else is working theirs.
I started work on something like that...I only got the north direction working (i just got bored of it..hmm..let me finish that up)
In response to Sariat
Well, after much toying, I still haven't got much of anywhere. I'm actually working on a RPG now, something I've had the system for since about day 5 of BYOND, and have never put into practice. (Yes, I had a turn-based RPG combat system in since my fifth day :P.... that says nothing about how buggy it was, but still.)

Also, I have no idea what Shinys have to do with this thread, but it sounded good.
I was going to try out some non-tile movement myself, but since you can't offset client.eye, it would look very sloppy. So I'm just going to be lazy and wait. =)
In response to Polatrite
I can show you what I have, I messed up west becuase I don't know which way is which, lol
In response to WizDragon
DitMUD offsets client.eye... when I get it into a compact format, I'll release the movement cycle as a library.

-LoW
Polatrite wrote:
What would be the easiest way, using the 4 cardinal directions, to do a 'freestyle movement', rather than the current tile-based method. I am currently toying with the new pixel variables for the first time, and I am just curious as to how "everyone" else is working theirs.

My racing game(http://www.byond.com/hub/Theodis/RacingGame) uses the pixel_x and pixel_y vars for smooth movement. Basically I have each mob have a location within the tile they are at that ranges from -100 to 100, then I scale that value between -16 and 16 for the pixel_x and pixel_y.
Polatrite wrote:

I can't wait until Dantom adds key-down and key-up support. You can't really play a game that uses pixel-based movement unless it either moves automatically (like Theodis' racing game) or it allows you to hold down a key to move and then release it to stop.

BYOND just uses Windows' built-in keyboard repeat, which makes using the arrow keys to move a real bother.