ID:154061

Using the new pixel displacement code, I imagine that somebody can make an improvement to Cinnom's side-scrolling demo. It would be nice if the animation was a bit more crisp, and used a more side-scrolling approach, rather than tile-based movement. I know I would immediately use such a demo, and these types of games are already quite popular, even with the lack of...... playability?
A big problem is how demanding such games are on servers... but yes, smoother movement would be very nice. Another big concern for me is the matter of proportion: a lot of the combat-based side scrollers end up being rather silly due to the fact that players only occupy a single tile, making them ridiculously small targets.
In response to Leftley
That's why you use multi-tiled mobs :p
I have design documents for a sideview game called "Monkey Khan", in which three teams (reptile, ape, and human) duke it out on a construction site using various gravity-based weapons (rocks, barrels, fruit, etc.)... the movement system it would require is pixel-based and interacts with the pixel offsets of turfs.

I'm not going to do anything with this idea, though, or any of my other ideas, until I have a permanently hosted, stable, advanced version of Hedgerow Hall.
In response to Lesbian Assassin
Sounds like a combination of Rampage and Leftly's Bombard ;)
Death By Smiley is pretty kick ass....
In response to English
Actually, it's basically a multi-player and scrolling version of Donkey Kong I-III.
I actually HAVE made a game like this... to an extent. It's called Code Red. It's just a small little experiment. Everyone gets in an ugly-looking fighter jet, and fires bullets that are 4x4 pixels at each other. Recently, my collision detection has screwed up seriously for no reason whatsoever, so I'm trying to fix it. If someone else wants the source, I'll be happy to supply it, as long as I know they actually will be able to understand my code. The code is somewhat messed, of course...

Oh yeah, it's also designed so people are a 16x32 target to hit, or something like that. maybe 24x32. I forget. It's still pretty nice, despite the collision detection bug (oh, people don't crash into each other and explode yet, either).