ID:154066

Which would be better, to use the standard BYOND savefile, or a textfile. Please refer to my previous question of whether or not thousands of single savefiles versus a few large ones would be better.

Textfile or savefile?

Thousands of files, or a couple large files?

What is the easiest way to create a decent textfile system that will read and create accordingly?
Polatrite wrote:
Which would be better, to use the standard BYOND savefile, or a textfile. Please refer to my previous question of whether or not thousands of single savefiles versus a few large ones would be better.

Textfile or savefile?

If you're going to have size issues, go with a standard savefile. But for debugging purposes, be good to yourself and put in a verb to translate to/from text format so you can make changes if necessary.

Thousands of files, or a couple large files?

I'd say neither; try to find a solution between the two, using a moderate number of files of moderate size.
With player files, though, this isn't feasible, so go with multiple files.

What is the easiest way to create a decent textfile system that will read and create accordingly?

What precisely do you mean by that?

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Basically, about the textfile handling. The savefiles use the special "directories", not sure as to the code-correct name. Effectively S["rooms"] << Castle, is there any way to accomplish a system similar to this with text files, other than the findtext proc and a special text string?