ID:154069

Ok, I am thinking of making one very large map, and by very large I mean the larget map ever made for a working game. so far I have come up with 1000x1000, but I think that may be just a tad bit too big. Any suggestions? I cannot however say anything about the game to helpw with a suggestion for the size.
Geo, I'm sure you're going to hear this alot, but

"Size does not matter."

-ST
In response to Sariat
Sariat wrote:
Geo, I'm sure you're going to hear this alot, but

"Size does not matter."

-ST

Size is VERY crucial in this game.
Geo wrote:
Ok, I am thinking of making one very large map, and by very large I mean the larget map ever made for a working game. so far I have come up with 1000x1000, but I think that may be just a tad bit too big. Any suggestions? I cannot however say anything about the game to helpw with a suggestion for the size.

Well that's 1,000,000 turfs, so I'd say that was a bit on the large side. I'm guessing it would certainly slow things down to have the entire map in memory at once, if not downright choke the machine it was running on.

You should definitely consider breaking it up into smaller maps.
In response to Geo
Wow. I guess *that* one went over your head. Lol. :)
While I don't have a clue why your game needs a large map, I find that 500x500 (250,000 turfs) is generally enough to fit most everything I want and then some. I hope you're not planning to have a hand-made 1000x1000 map though. I can tell you from experience that my high motivation died out after 250x250... You're talking 16 times that.