ID:154072

I need some ideas for a setting I could use to build a small sample MUD environment. It needs to be interesting enough to keep players there with something to do, yet simple enough that it won't take me months and months of work to build. Any ideas?
A mining game maybe, something where you start with an oxygen pack, a shovel, and a spaceship. Then travel in the spaceship to asteroids to mine precious metals and crystals. Then once you finish your buisness, you go back and sell the crystals and what not then get money to buy newer equipment that can further help you mine. It involves no killing =).

<<>>Semaj<<>>
Foomer wrote:
I need some ideas for a setting I could use to build a small sample MUD environment. It needs to be interesting enough to keep players there with something to do, yet simple enough that it won't take me months and months of work to build. Any ideas?

This reminds me: I'd really like to see some form of mudlibraries released. If someone doesn't come up with something soon, I'll be forced to take a jab at it :(

And thats no good...

Alathon\\
In response to Alathon
Thats home-grown lazyness! =), I'm one to talk, bwahaha!

<<>>Semaj<<>>
In response to Alathon
Alathon wrote:
This reminds me: I'd really like to see some form of mudlibraries released. If someone doesn't come up with something soon, I'll be forced to take a jab at it :(

And thats no good...

Alathon\\

Mine is nearly ready, I just need to fix part of up because I recoded the parser so that it works a lot easier. I will see about releasing it ASAP.

As for foomer's mini mud. How about you just make an expandable world and grant anybody who logs in building priviledges. Then you would have a huge(yet most likely shitty) world in no time.
In response to Ebonshadow
LOL! Remember Sariat's Birthday party?! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In response to Sariat
Sariat wrote:

Yeah that was pretty wack. This kinda based on the same code but I redid it all... and it actually has a parser now! The parser is pretty kick ass I think.
In response to Ebonshadow
Ebonshadow wrote:
Sariat wrote:

Yeah that was pretty wack. This kinda based on the same code but I redid it all... and it actually has a parser now! The parser is pretty kick ass I think.

I missed that one, Maybe I should be thankful =P I can only imagine..exspecially with Sariat there. But yea that idea would work for getting a fast world done..but definially not a very good one less you got lucky enough to have alot of english scholars logging in.
In response to Darkness
Darkness wrote:
I missed that one, Maybe I should be thankful =P I can only imagine..exspecially with Sariat there. But yea that idea would work for getting a fast world done..but definially not a very good one less you got lucky enough to have alot of english scholars logging in.

I saw a system that used this once demonstrating the Lima Mudlib. It was pretty fun just to go in and make your own areas. They probably got a lot of shitty ones but the point was to show off the power of the mudlib, so I believe it would also work for Foomer's cause.
In response to Darkness
Darkness wrote:
Ebonshadow wrote:
Sariat wrote:

We didn't want you there ANYWAYS...brat
Foomer wrote:
I need some ideas for a setting I could use to build a
small sample MUD environment.

How about a simple maze with rooms that have resettable puzzles that people need to solve before going to another part of the maze...
In response to digitalmouse
as for player built worlds, you'd probably end up with a lot of strip bars, seeing all of the immature people on.
In response to Airson
Especially with Sariat around. I can see Hooters replacing every would-be Starbucks.
Foomer wrote:

It's kind of hard to supply ideas if we don't really know what your text-engine is capable of producing. One idea might be simple on one engine, but time-consuming on a different. It all depends how it is coded.

- Malver
In response to Malver
Well that's easy, I don't have an engine! I build the engine around the MUD, not the MUD around the engine.
In response to Foomer
Foomer wrote:
I build the engine around the MUD, not the MUD around
the engine.

Ah.. well that may be your problem: you might consider building a robust engine that can accomodate nearly any kind of MUD the builder(s) can devise. Makes for a more useful tool I think.

(And don't tell me you can't do it - there are plenty of MUD systems out there that do just that, and you could do it in BYOND/DM if you set your mind to it)
In response to digitalmouse

Ah.. well that may be your problem: you might consider building a robust engine that can accomodate nearly any kind of MUD the builder(s) can devise. Makes for a more useful tool I think.

(And don't tell me you can't do it - there are plenty of MUD systems out there that do just that, and you could do it in BYOND/DM if you set your mind to it)

No, it's more of an "I don't want to" thing.