ID:154076

I was thinking about trying to make a first person RPG, but I don't have the time or patience. SO I thought of this, when you set on a turf in tBYOND, it displays a picture over the map jus to you, there would be two different kids of turfs for the demo, wall, and floor. Then if you hit a certain command, it would delete the pictures, and then show the actual map of the area you are in, as the minimap, and it would call the move() as returning 0 right there, you know how awesome this would be? I would like it, I don't care about you guys, I'm going to try to do it!
I think Ebonshadow has a library for that already.
In response to Foomer
really? In my method? Wow, I really need to pay attention!

jeez foomer, you've been on my posts like a... I'll leave the description out... man, you are on the ball tonight!
Depending on the view depth you want (i.e., how many turfs away you can see), first person can be pretty easy to do; actually, it's pretty easy to do regardless, but if you want players to be able to see more than a couple of turfs away it takes a bit longer drawing wall positions and more definition work.

One piece of advice, though: I strongly recommend keeping your map fairly small. My original first person project used a full-size (I think) map, which involves such a huge drawing area that there's a noticeable blinking effect when your view changes suddenly because BYOND has trouble drawing so many tiles at once. Some of my engines since then have been designed for rather small map areas, and these ones are seamless, though I've deliberately shied away from having on-screen sprites; these projects have all been essentially text-driven games with a first-person map attached for convenience. If you are planning on having dynamic sprites on-screen, I would DEFINITELY keep the map pretty small.
In response to Foomer
Ebonshadow made a whole library for the one command client.screen.Cut()?