ID:154083

What do you do, I started a game a while back and it went to hell. I need tips on how to start it. Planning and stuff if you could help that be cool.
The Golden Rule..
The one most game developers use....

1. Make the game interface.
Byond does this for you.

2. Make the complete Map.
(this allows you to cross-reference your game story with how the gameplay will be. You might have last minute quests in mind, so making the map first helps you design the game and helps you determine what level players will be at the time they get to an area. So you can then determine the level creatures will be.

3. Make Towns and Dungeons.

4. Make Variables for mobs and objects

5. Make verbs to interact with objects and mobs and calculate variables.

6. Open Testing And be ready to tweak
Legion wrote:
What do you do, I started a game a while back and it went to hell. I need tips on how to start it. Planning and stuff if you could help that be cool.

Some quick tips that come to mind:

--When you're on a roll with programming, don't stop to draw lovely icons. Just create a big gray square or something that can act as a placeholder, and keep programming. On the days when you're just not in the mood to program, you can do better icons; in the meantime, focus on the gameplay first and worry about the icons after the thing works.

--Similarly, focus on getting a rough, raw version of a playable game ready before adding the code that handles cute details like animations or random maps.

There are lots more tips I could add -- in fact I have a list around here somewhere for a future BYONDscape article -- but those will be a good start.