ID:154094

Okay, for the past 2 months, I have learned alot about DM. Now, it feels like I've crossed the mountain, only to find a another mountain. But inbetween those mountians, is a lake. Too far to swim, and there is no wood around.

I know I havn't learned ALL of DM. But, it feels like I can't go any further. Just would like to know if this has happened to anybody (in any language), and how the dealt with over coming it.

-ST
Sariat wrote:
Okay, for the past 2 months, I have learned alot about DM. Now, it feels like I've crossed the mountain, only to find a another mountain. But inbetween those mountians, is a lake. Too far to swim, and there is no wood around.

I know I havn't learned ALL of DM. But, it feels like I can't go any further. Just would like to know if this has happened to anybody (in any language), and how the dealt with over coming it.

-ST

Well, DM is a broad subject to cover. There will always be mountains you haven't climbed(As long as features keep appearing at this rate!), and there will be times when all of a sudden something just 'clicks' and makes total sense.

It has a lot to do with experience, and realizing what something is really about(perspective). Sometimes you need to take a break, distance yourself from everything.

Take a break, go buy a boat and start paddling!

Thats just my opinion, anyways.

Alathon\\, =>
Take on a more difficult project like creating an isometric game (like Living Dead), make a hex based tile system for a strategy game, or something like that.

You may have learned all the syntax but being able to use it all in the right situations and combinations is what counts. In my opinion anyway :p

I know I havn't learned ALL of DM. But, it feels like I can't go any further.

Then, to extend your analogy further, take a rest for a while! You already know quite a bit about DM; plan some interesting things you can do with the knowledge you already have. Once you've done that, you'll have a deeper understanding of the ideas you've already learned, and you'll have more enthusiasm for learning new ones.
Then take a breathe and explore. For example create a concept game to tst your knowledge. Then build up your boat by learning the tricks of using Object Oriented programming to its fullest.