ID:154100

How about a game about the philosopy and teachings of Chan buddhism and the Shaolin temple all wrapped up into a very good and orginal game?

Suggestions?
sounds kewl...as long as we have that kung fu fightin stuff :P
-Hock
Considering the teachings of Shaolin Monks are that of non-violence, and involve rigorous training of the mind and body, I don't know how a game like this would be very fun.

I don't know about you, but spending 3 hours meditating, 2 hours lifting stuff, cleaning clothes, and helping the locals down at the town recover from a disease is not my idea of a good time.

Things like combat would be sparce if done correctly.

( I only know this because I've heavily studied Shaolin Gung-Fu )

I think what you really are looking for is a Kung-Fu based combat game with Shaolin Special Effects ( Please do not desecrate the name for your game :-) ). And just have the teachings as stuff kind of 'around' that contributes to the storyline, but isn't integral to the game itself. Which sounds like a cool idea!
In response to ShadowWolf
ShadowWolf wrote:
I don't know about you, but spending 3 hours meditating, 2 hours lifting stuff, cleaning clothes, and helping the locals down at the town recover from a disease is not my idea of a good time.

Before Enlightenment, chop wood, carry water.
After Enlightenment, chop wood, carry water.
ShadowWolf wrote:
Considering the teachings of Shaolin Monks are that of non-violence, and involve rigorous training of the mind and body, I don't know how a game like this would be very fun.

Things like combat would be sparce if done correctly.

( I only know this because I've heavily studied Shaolin Gung-Fu )

I think what you really are looking for is a Kung-Fu based combat game with Shaolin Special Effects ( Please do not desecrate the name for your game :-) ). And just have the teachings as stuff kind of 'around' that contributes to the storyline, but isn't integral to the game itself. Which sounds like a cool idea!

Obviously it wont have helping locals in, but you should know, the training of the Gung-Fu(also you choose your martial art out of a few) and there will be additions of ChiGung and Qigong and other techniques and practices.

any other Suggestions?
In response to Gojira
ChiGung and Qigong would add a lot to the game...

Also, you should impliment forms as "weapons." Make it so only norther Shaolin Monks can learn x forms and southern the y. That way you can have both styles of Praying Mantis ( My personal favorite :-) ).

Not to mention, advantages such as Wing Chun being a good base for learning other forms is really cool. And when people get to the "higher levels" they can learn arts like Jeet Kun Do!
The only down side is the use of chi in this game may be bad as i would make people think of DBZ, and alot of these people cant understand the concept of chi. What i was thinking of was adding Kundalini and Chakra training.

Lets not forget these martial arts =)

• Black Tiger
  • Dragon Fist
  • Mantis Fist
  • Zhuang Quan
  • Wushu

but then again i doubt any one wants to spend a long time training their character in hand forms or soft martial arts either.
In response to Gojira
Gojira wrote:
..Black Tiger

I'd like to see that. ;-)

-LoW
In response to Gojira
And of course you MUST have Choy Li Fut(thats what I'm taking) so I could help you with those techs. And make multiple dojos and stuff.
I think this would work, you could start as someone who has no knowledge of fighting at all, then advance and learn basic Kung Fu, then Chi Gong(usage of internal energies), then throw some outrageous action stuff in there. I would be willing to do icons and design it if someone would code. As I mentioned below I take kung fu so I know the main princeples of it. And it's only the Budduhist Monks who spend hours meditating, the martial monks do fight and have tournaments and spend countless hours training. So if anyone is interested please AIM me at OneWingedAngel2k or simply reply or catch me on the pager when I am rarely on.