ID:154108

What would cause the game to run best, if I used just multiple map files or one huge map with a lot of Z cordinates?
Multiple maps get converted into z coordinates, so it doesn't make any difference.
In response to Foomer
Actually Foomer, it does make a slight difference I believe. If you have multiple map files, youcan change them at will without having to make people download all the map files all over again, but I'm not sure. It should be like that, but hey, what do I know?
In response to Garthor
People don't download map files to begin with, they're loaded dynamically as they use them. (Or so Spuzzum tells me.)
In response to Foomer
Yeah, but according to my psycic powers, if you have a single map file with multiple Z levels, if you change a single Z level, it all has to be downloaded again.

Then again, I don't have psycic powers...
In response to Garthor
Garthor wrote:
Actually Foomer, it does make a slight difference I believe. If you have multiple map files, youcan change them at will without having to make people download all the map files all over again, but I'm not sure. It should be like that, but hey, what do I know?

DMP files are compiled into the final DMB. There is no difference between making multiple DMPs and a single DMP with multiple Z levels, since they're all just layered onto the map.

Kinda like when/if you complained when your parents mixed your food together, but you wanted the ingredients separate. If that happened, they probably said "it all ends up in the same place anyway." Well, ditto for the map. ;-)

This is assuming that you're including all of the DMPs, of course. Multiple DMPs have the advantage that you can uninclude portions of your maps with no problems (assuming that you used object-based teleportation, rather than coordinate-based teleportation. Otherwise you will have problems).

There is also the slight advantage that with a single DMP (rather than multiple DMPs) you will only have to have one set of "headers" -- that is, the letter codes that make up the map inside the DMP file don't have to be redefined for every map.
In response to Spuzzum
There is also the slight advantage that with a single DMP (rather than multiple DMPs) you will only have to have one set of "headers" -- that is, the letter codes that make up the map inside the DMP file don't have to be redefined for every map.

Having a few small sets of headers makes it much easier to edit maps in a text editor, if it ever comes to that, though. Editting a huge map with tons of letter codes is no fun. Fortunately, its been quite some time since I've ever had to edit any maps like that, so this entire point is moot.

-AbyssDragon
In response to Foomer
Foomer wrote:
People don't download map files to begin with, they're loaded dynamically as they use them. (Or so Spuzzum tells me.)

I think what he means is when people download the game itself to host it. Otherwise you're right, though; clients don't ever get sent the whole map.

Lummox JR
In response to AbyssDragon
AbyssDragon wrote:
Editting a huge map with tons of letter codes is no fun. Fortunately, its been quite some time since I've ever had to edit any maps like that, so this entire point is moot.

I had to edit the Snow Boarder: Gold map last night in notepad, because I forgot a single " on one of the vars, that map has 25 z levels and poor notepad could barely hold it, but I finally found the part of it after 20 minutes, multiple maps are nice if you think you're gonna need to edit them in a text editor, but a single map file is great, it looks compact on the file tree, and it's easier to navigate (in my own opinon).
In response to AbyssDragon
Someone who's savvy in some other language should take a shot at building their own map editor for BYOND-stuff one of these times... Heck, maybe it can even be done in DM.
In response to Foomer
Foomer wrote:
Someone who's savvy in some other language should take a shot at building their own map editor for BYOND-stuff one of these times... Heck, maybe it can even be done in DM.

Well, the map editor could be done, granted, but displaying the icons -- and the variables -- is currently an impossibility.
In response to Spuzzum
Who says you can't scan the appropriate .dm files for the needed stuff?