ID:1541170

Im attempting to make a top down base view rpg game that when going into combat the map changes into a 2d sidescroller version along with their 2d avatars, where players stats/ etc carry over. So what Im wondering is has this been done yet? and if any of u might point me on some resources to read up on how to code this im a beginner lol.
Reminds me of Summon Nights.
thats where i got the idea
Reminds me of Zelda 2.
SSK wrote:
if any of u might point me on some resources to read up on how to code this im a beginner lol.

Even for an experienced developer, this idea of yours would be a pretty big undertaking. Certainly not impossible, but it would be a lot to manage since you are going to need two separate control systems, two sets of graphics, and so on. Basically you are going to be developing two separate games at the same time. By doing so the quality will surely diminish. Furthermore you are adding a ton of overhead because despite the huge separation between the mechanics and resources needed for each part of the game, you will also need them to "play nice" by which I mean code from the sidescroller cannot interfere with code from the top-down, and vice-versa.

Sounds like a lot of pre-planning and extra work to me. It should be easy to find resources about making a sidescroller, and about making a top-down rpg. But merging the two is not something you will find a tutorial for. I'm concerned because you didn't come with any sort of specific question, nor do you have any attempt at creating such a dual-game system for anyone to help you with.

I say turn back now before you get completely frustrated. Choose to make either a sidescroller or a top-down. Besides, I don't think anyone will be particularly impressed when they play a game with both side and top views unless it is really good. This type of thing has been done before in commercial games and I have never found it to be worthwhile. Unless you are talking about something like commander keen where the only point to the top-down view is to select a level, just go for one or the other.

I would start by considering why you want these particular elements. What purpose do they serve in your game? If you want it to be a good sidescroller, why not use a branching model like the Castlevania games or a hub ala Mega Man?

That being said, if you want to go that route (say for a Super Mario world style game), I would start with the sidescroller base. For overworld sections, you would still use the same scheme but switch to a mob or mode with a different control scheme (four directional movement, no jump, etc.) and not affected by whatever gravity, acceleration, etc. effects you have. Not terribly complicated, but will require some planning.