Dun dun dunnnn!
U fuckin' wot m8?
The implementation I'm looking at for lighting doesn't match the original suggestion of using a special blend_mode, but I've tested out a proof-of-concept where all icons in a plane can be rendered to a single texture, and that texture can be blended over the map with a blend_mode (and color and transform) that affects the entire plane.

That is to say, you could create "proper" lighting via additive halos around light sources, where the halos and maybe a dark ambient color are drawn to plane 1 in BLEND_ADD mode, and then all of plane 1 is rendered over the map in BLEND_MULTIPLY mode. (Shadows would look cool with any lighting system, but I'm stymied as to how they could work.)

I have no specific notions in mind yet of how I'd mark the plane so that it worked this way, so that's something I still need to figure out. But the drawing possibilities would be enhanced enormously.
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
Advanced lighting and other special effects are now possible via PLANE_MASTER, a new value that can be used in appearance_flags. Create an atom with this flag and make it visible to a player (e.g., on the HUD or as an image), and then all other icons on the same plane will be drawn to a temporary surface. That temporary surface will be shown on the current scene and subject to the color, alpha, blend_mode, and transform of this master atom. (The master atom's icon itself is not drawn. This atom is just a placeholder for grouping all the others together.)
Page: 1 2 3