ID:1541546

It just crossed my mind since I'm planning to make a Kickstarter and Indiegogo campaign for my own project. Has BYOND ever started any of these campaigns to fund anything? It literally "just" crossed my mind.
To my knowledge there have been three (Vault of Heaven, The Spirit Age, and Castle of the Winds Online). All of them fell short unfortunately, for various reasons.

Getting your game kickstarted (indiego...goed?) is a pretty difficult affair, especially without any sort of past work or big names tied to your creation. If you're serious about trying it, I'd suggest taking a step back and analyzing other successful campaigns and reading up on campaign strategies. You should also be willing to spend the entire month or two (depending on how long you set your campaign to run) on constantly keeping on top of your campaign and making sure its advertised, as well as supplying updates to backers and potential backers.
If you want to get a game funded with kickstarter, the easy way is to mention stuff like feminism and social justice warriors. You can go in asking for $1000 and walk out with $100,000 by doing this.

You don't even need to make a decent game either.

On a slightly related note: I've never seen a good, finished game come from kickstarter.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/casual-quest

Can't forget about casual quest.

From experience, when I was working with the Centration team, they launched an Indiegogo campaign. I spent months trying to get the team in gear and trying to get footage and content ready. Unfortunately, I was one of two people out of 11 that was actively working and understood the work that was necessary.

The required monies to acheive a project of that scope was a minimum of 200,000 USD. And that was just to get a bare-bones playable version. In reality, the final goal of the project would have cost us easily 1.5 million USD.

The Indiegogo campaign was botched. Badly. It was launched with a goal of $85,000 US, essentially. Which meant we were going to be severely under budget.

The press releases we were promised never happened, because we had no press kit. I fought tooth and nail to stop the crowdfunding campaign until we had at least 8 hours of footage and recorded audio.

The team decided to push the kickstarter through anyway. We got maybe $5,600 dollars. This was worse than getting nothing, because now we had money we couldn't keep, and money we couldn't afford to give back. We were suddenly $3,000 in debt.

We didn't have a 3D modeler that could rig and animate, so I, a programmer, spent two or three days producing this:

http://imgur.com/a/U5Mpz

as well as this:

http://imgur.com/a/FnZ15

And I got a prototype together that demonstrated the airflow engine, which didn't use cellular automata to perform breaching calculations, but rather a complex distributed cubemap that performed asynchronous airflow balancing, and allowed us to overcome a lot of the problems with scalability and CPU overrun.

Unfortunately, the team became toxic after this failed kickstarter. I was largely blamed for a number of failings on the part of this, and it led directly to my resignation. Among the toxic factors that played into this, a member of the team began to harshly criticize the testing animation graph that I had upended my work schedule to produce, as three separate people we hired to do it quit. In a row. Given the choice of "no models and animations" and "placeholder models and animations", they decided to run down and demean one of their two active developers. The assets they replaced my work with were a joke for a multitude of reasons: They lacked collision models, polycounts were too high, bone weighting was non-existent, submesh count for individual models entered the hundreds, UVmaps were incompatible with the engine we were using, they lacked source files, so they couldn't be edited. Among other standing problems.

Ever since I left, the team has... Well, lost all grasp on reality and despite the fact that a non-modeller produced the above human model, they burned all of my work, and turned to a flawed airflow approach that they had to scrap repeatedly, because it they didn't understand my code.

Not only that, but the core idea behind their airflow engine was utterly flawed, and impossible to improve because the core concept of their new model was utterly impossible to get working at a large scale. Their electrical model was also terrible beyond belief compared to mine, and their method of organizing maps makes the game impossible to scale, owing to the lack of ability to cull unrendered parts of the map.

Add in the fact that they haven't figured out that their maps require geometry batching and primitive simplification, and you have a recipe for a complete waste of 2 years since I left.

Remember that model that I linked? This is what they started using after: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbVBVZ4MWYk

--In all honesty, the point of this post is simply this:

1) Do not kickstart until you have the game in at least a playable alpha state, and can demonstrate something special.

2) Do not kickstart until you have a decent body of professional artwork that will attract peoples' eyes.

3) Do not kickstart until you have at least 2-4 hours of footage, developer commentary, and promotional material built up.

4) Do not kickstart until you have press kits available.

5) Do not kickstart until you have several articles written about your project.

6) Hype early, hype often.

7) If you want to succeed, hire a promoter that knows what they are doing, and expect to take out a loan to advertise your project.

Otherwise, you are just wasting your time.
Thank you for all the posts. However, I was more concerned as to whether BYOND itself has thought about doing a campaign. Not its developers that are within it.

Also, thank you for the tips, Ter. A new member from a team I put together on Unity recently brought this up and was trying to get us to start a campaign soon. I already knew it was a bad idea to do a campaign without content to show. But his idea to do a campaign was good, nonetheless. Just not the right time. I'll be sure to follow your advice in the future.

Additionally, I think I should ask my two 3D Modelers if they know how to rig and animate.. Now. If not, some practice might be in order.