ID:154156

I am working for a medievil RPG, and I'm trying to gather ideas on what people would like to see in one. Please reply with any ideas.

-Joe
Catapults, lots of fighting
don't make it fantasy based!! Make it realistic, since most rpg's go off fantasy, dragons etc... WHy not do a little research and make a realistic midieval RPG!
In response to Jon Snow
Or better yet, deviate from classic fantasy into custom fantasy, which I find is the best way to go. Classic fantasy includes dungeons, dragons, swords and sourcery, the usual stuff you see in classic RPGs. If you want to be different, get away from that. Try creating your own type of fantasy that has some special twist that makes things interesting. Maybe there is no metal so weapons are impractical, or people can not be so easily killed. Why include dragons? Dragons are boring now. Why include magic? Everyone else uses magic, there's nothing new there. Make up some new stuff, get rid of the old, and you'll have something new and interesting. Take your shot and being the next Tolkien by creating your own style of fantasy!

Since most people can't comprehend fantasy RPGs without it, I find that the concept of an RPG without magic and without perpetual fighting to be almost unheard of. Why not try something different? You never know when you'll strike something that everyone else likes.

Just my opinion,
Obsessive world creator,
Foomer
In response to Foomer
How about making a fantasy realm full of rat people that burrow into the ground that are at constant war with giant ape-like creatures?
Well, it's different...
In response to Garthor
Garthor wrote:
How about making a fantasy realm full of rat people that burrow into the ground that are at constant war with giant ape-like creatures?

Sounds like Cannibalistic Humanoid Under-Dwellers versus Parliament.
In response to Spuzzum
I was thinking it sounded more like Lode Wars.
This is the problem that I see with most BYOND RPG's. Make a point to playing the game. Not just level up and buy stuff. Make a story and some feeling of accomplishment when the player beats it.
In response to SSJ4_Link
SSJ4_Link wrote:
This is the problem that I see with most BYOND RPG's. Make a point to playing the game. Not just level up and buy stuff. Make a story and some feeling of accomplishment when the player beats it.

That's the thing, though... when you're making an online RPG, there usually is no "beat it" involved -- the game must have enough a story to it, no doubt, but that story can never end, and it has to fill in the blanks itself. If you have a linear story, you'll have everyone simply follow a walkthrough to the end until they're supreme masters of l33tness or whatever.

Any online game that does have "beat it" involved (aside from "You trespassed on my property, so I'll give you to the count of 10 to beat it!") is normally short and unreplayable. The thrill of online gaming is that the universe is supposed to grow and develop on a day-to-day basis.
In response to Spuzzum
Spuzzum wrote:
[snip]
Any online game that does have "beat it" involved (aside from "You trespassed on my property, so I'll give you to the count of 10 to beat it!") is normally short and unreplayable. The thrill of online gaming is that the universe is supposed to grow and develop on a day-to-day basis.

I agree. I would also like to point out that service counts. Changing policies to deal with player behavior, running quests, and creating new content are what make an online RPG great. A bit of code and a demo world mean very little if the developers can't keep the players around.

As for content, I like Foomer's suggestion to deviate from classic fantasy. (Of course, I also asked Ernest Adams to define "dwarf"...) A realistic medieval environment could be nice, however some whiner will end up complaining about how unreal the game's realism is.
In response to ACWraith
A realistic medieval environment could be nice, however some whiner will end up complaining about how unreal the game's realism is.

"That's not fair! I attacked a wild horse and it kicked me in the head and killed me instantly! That's so fake!"
In response to Spuzzum
"That's not fair! I attacked a wild horse and it kicked me in the head and killed me instantly! That's so fake!"

LOL, that brings back the old UO days. I was mining in Minoc when a PK comes along killing everyone. Nobody could kill him until eventually he came up to a guy's horse. He was killed pretty damn fast (since he attacked the horse's master). It was funny as hell.