ID:154201

(Just if you were wondering this is for my super hero game)

First off-

Perma Death, should super heros just "Respawn" in the hospital or some back ally if they can't afford the hospital? Or should they die depending on how bad the got whooped? And if they didn't get that badly whooped, should they go to either of these?

Battling, would you rather just go to an arena and fight or fight real time? Arenas are planned on for safe battling. And under-ground fighting tourny's that you CAN get killed in. A randomly generated map is formed and a brawl-for-all fight begins. Last man/woman standing wins.

"Missions", where would you get them? (Hot Sheets at the police station?) And how would I randomly generate clues for them so it wont be the same ol' Foomer stole this and Foomer stole that.

I think I've asked this before but I'm stupid or something. What about getting powers from an power source?

Example:
Sariat gets a mutant powers and selects teleportation. How would he only be able to select "teleportation-like" powers and nothing else?

NPC's, what kind and what would they do?

I think thats it so far...

Thanks for reading
-ST
Perma Death, should super heros just "Respawn" in the hospital or some back ally if they can't afford the hospital? Or should they die depending on how bad the got whooped? And if they didn't get that badly whooped, should they go to either of these?

Definately a no to perma-death in a super hero game. I mean, in comic books and such super heroes never die, right? It seems kind of out of genre to let them.

-AbyssDragon
In response to AbyssDragon
I agree with AbyssDragon. Perma-death is generally used to provide a more realistic environment. Meanwhile many don't enjoy losing the characters they have built. If you don't have a realistic environment in the first place, don't bother trying to fit it in without an extremely good reason.

As for missions, how about something like the bat-signal?
NPC's, lesse here
Civilians should maybe give you clues where the bad guys are hiding out and a hint towards that person's super power or something
Engineers, good technologic weapons and items, fair prices
Policemen inform you of crimes people have done and possibly where they believe they are
Doctors/Nurses: hospital care, faster healing but at a price
Back alley thugs, sell you stuff at low prices but may attack and call friends to help
Random criminals, kill them and steal their money/items, or turn them in to Police for reward
Mercenaries/Sidekicks mercs help you kill bad guys for cash and sidekicks follow you around and help you but are weak and easily killed
Underground tech guys, best and newest gadgets, but at very high prices, become friendly after so many purchases and may lower prices
Well, thats all I can think of for now
-Bob
In response to ACWraith
ACWraith wrote:
I agree with AbyssDragon. Perma-death is generally used to provide a more realistic environment. Meanwhile many don't enjoy losing the characters they have built. If you don't have a realistic environment in the first place, don't bother trying to fit it in without an extremely good reason.

Okay, good point, where would they go after they got killed? And what would be the penalties?

As for missions, how about something like the bat-signal?

Heh.

And how come nobody answers the other questions! :P

-Sariat
Sariat wrote:

Superheros rarely die, so first off, I would make it very difficult to be killed. Note, being defeated and dieing are completely different. Ever notice how in those cartoons, the villains get so many chances to kill the hero the right way but they never do? Well maybe it should have a setup like that. You can be defeated numerous times, and be sent to prison for wrong doings. But for heros that are defeated, hmm im not sure. This might require roleplay on the villains part. Maybe have it set up so you cannot kill players at all, only in certain situations. Villains could do things like, KO a hero and tie him to a railroad track to wait for the oncomming train, things like that. Whatever you do, for this type of game it may not be necessary to have death in the game. However, if you did implement it, you could have revivers and things like that.

Battling, would you rather just go to an arena and fight or fight real time? Arenas are planned on for safe battling. And under-ground fighting tourny's that you CAN get killed in. A randomly generated map is formed and a brawl-for-all fight begins. Last man/woman standing wins.

I always prefer real time games when it comes to battle. With the propper controls, it allows for a very fun play. However, combat based around verbs is not well suited for this game type if you ask me. I have found the best setup for action is using built in macros and making say accessible with enter. However, with the new mouse controlls, I am sure it is just as easy to make a setup with the mouse.

"Missions", where would you get them? (Hot Sheets at the police station?) And how would I randomly generate clues for them so it wont be the same ol' Foomer stole this and Foomer stole that.

Maybe no one single place. Maybe they could be randomly generated and placed in newspapers. News headlines such as "The dreaded monkey army is invating heropolis with their deadly cabbage flinging slingshots of doom!". This would get the heros together saving the city, and maybe get some villains to go try and back up the monkeys!

I think I've asked this before but I'm stupid or something. What about getting powers from an power source?

Example:
Sariat gets a mutant powers and selects teleportation. How would he only be able to select "teleportation-like" powers and nothing else?

Maybe instead of picking powers at the beginning, you could use some sort of point system to add genres of powers to your character. This would result in something like some old text based MUD games where mages picked what schools of magic they learned from. The more genres of powers you added, the harder it would be to level in-game. Then they could learn powers/moves from that genre. Remember, you don't necesarily have to just learn new powers, you could branch moves off those powers. IE, your power was super strength, you could learn several moves that you get from this power. Power Punch, Throw Things (allows you to pick up cars and other things to throw), earthquake fist, the possibilities are practically endless.

NPC's, what kind and what would they do?

Maybe like actual heros and villains that will help add to roleplay by assisting fellow villains and heros. When these, "missions" come up, they could come into play and take a part in the mission.