ID:154202

I'm wondering if their is a way to poll for the person's key's Gender when they enter a game. If so whats the syntax for this?

LJR
client.gender

The default login behavior IS to grab the key's name and gender and assign them to a new instance of world.mob, so in most cases, grabbing client.gender is redundant.
In response to Lesbian Assassin
client.gender is the same as the Key's Gender right? As in what u have selected under your Key's profile here at BYOND.

LJR
In response to LordJR
In response to Foomer
I'm not sure if you guys see what I'm trying to do. I have some code now and even though I have Male as my Key, this code here is not reconizing it.

if(client.gender=="male")

How do I poll the key's gender with an if statement and do something if this or that?

LJR
In response to LordJR
You have to tell it what client to check.
if(src.client.gender == "Male")

Or you could replace src with usr for verbs.

Hope I helped

-Rcet
In response to Rcet
Rcet wrote:
You have to tell it what client to check.
> if(src.client.gender == "Male")
>

Or you could replace src with usr for verbs.

Hope I helped

-Rcet

No you don't. src is implicit for all variables. In other words:

src.client == client
In response to LordJR
LordJR wrote:
I'm not sure if you guys see what I'm trying to do. I have some code now and even though I have Male as my Key, this code here is not reconizing it.

if(client.gender=="male")

How do I poll the key's gender with an if statement and do something if this or that?

LJR

A client has a gender. A client also has a key. A key does not have a gender.
In response to Skysaw
Skysaw wrote:

src.client == client

Hmm. Whenever I just do client.var, it won't compile, I always have to do src.client, or usr.client.

-Rcet
In response to Rcet
Rcet wrote:
Skysaw wrote:

src.client == client

Hmm. Whenever I just do client.var, it won't compile, I always have to do src.client, or usr.client.

-Rcet

If src.client works, so will client. Not necessarily true for usr.
In response to Skysaw
sure it does.. just looking under ur identity on the BYOND website.. Thats what I want to know if I can get access to.

LJR
In response to LordJR
LordJR wrote:
sure it does.. just looking under ur identity on the BYOND website.. Thats what I want to know if I can get access to.

LJR

No, it doesn't. Not within BYOND's coding environment, anyway.

From the reference:
gender var (client)
"This is the client's gender, which is an attribute of the player's key. By default, when a new mob is made for a player (in client.New()), the new mob gets the same name and gender as the player's key..."

This is not to say that there is a client.key.gender variable. There just isn't one. However, client.gender will return what you want.
In response to Skysaw
Thanks for all ur attempt, but none of this has worked. I've tried it all. Also chatting with Leftly he wondered if I had over written client/ somewhere but its fresh code and I know I haven't. What I'm trying to do is an if then
do this with the client.gender

if(client.gender=="male") then do this etc..

but I have a catch all else at the bottom and everytime I long in even though I see my Gender on the BYOND is a Male. Its giving me the else default and not the Male icon. Which is what this is for. An automatic gender icon selector for when you log in.

Any clues?

LJR
In response to LordJR
LordJR wrote:
Thanks for all ur attempt, but none of this has worked. I've tried it all. Also chatting with Leftly he wondered if I had over written client/ somewhere but its fresh code and I know I haven't. What I'm trying to do is an if then
do this with the client.gender

if(client.gender=="male") then do this etc..

but I have a catch all else at the bottom and everytime I long in even though I see my Gender on the BYOND is a Male. Its giving me the else default and not the Male icon. Which is what this is for. An automatic gender icon selector for when you log in.

Any clues?

LJR

Hard to know what's going on, but the best thing is to do some hardcore sanity checks.

Try doing this in your check:

world << "My gender is [client.gender]"

That will give you a place to start.
In response to Skysaw
oh I could kick myself! :P
I need else if instead of just another if() and then else at the end.
It was changing it to the 1st and then the else!

Ok I'm free of this trouble back to my TOP Secret new PROJECT, will be revealed to the community in the coming days.. ;)

LJR
In response to LordJR
I don't know what's wrong with your code (if it's in client.New(), try calling the parent proc first, because this is where your key's name and gender is assigned to your client), but yes, I know exactly what you mean, and I'm telling you, if you leave the default client initialization in place, client.gender == whatever you put when you register your key.

Haven't you noticed that if you don't make a gender selector, BYOND still automatically assigns the "right" gender to players? Or do guys just assume that male is the default gender? :P

Your key identity gender >> client.gender >> mob.gender

In response to LordJR
Um... if that's ALL you were doing with this, why didn't you just use mob.gender???
In response to Lesbian Assassin
Actually the default gender goes to a Robot! Clever eh?
(^_^)

We're pro mecha, not bio!

LJR
In response to LordJR
LordJR wrote:
(^_^)

You have something against female robots? (Or rather, fembots?)

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
LordJR wrote:
(^_^)

You have something against female robots? (Or rather, fembots?)

Lummox JR

Point being robots are genderless unless you go making them into the image of man, which is pointless unless trying to make a Mecha companion for a Bio. :P

LJR
Page: 1 2 3