ID:154221

now, i have been thinking about making a Dance Dance Revolution like game, in which you "dance" by putting you fingers in a v and stepping to the arrows on your keypad as music plays, bright graphics flash, and arrows appear to step to. of course, i'd probably have to find a way to convert mp3's to midi's, but that's besides my point. i know it would take awhile for me to set up arrow sequences at the right times to make a keypad dance out of it, but my main problem is two thing:
1. a name. Dance Dance Revolution was a great name for a great game, now i'm trying to come up with something like "Keypad Motion", "Dance Machine", ect. that will fit my game.
2. how to detect arrows that appear in a slot. the arrow graphics are done, but what i'm trying to do is when a arrow appears, it scrolls up, then when it gets to a part, you must "press" the exact keypad arrow to count, or else when it gets passed it, it will vanish and your "Dance-O-Meter" goes down one.
of course this game will feature the ability to watch other play, play another person in unison or seperate keypads, choosing of a icon to represent you and wonder around a small place to chat wiht others and such, maybe buy new songs. and probably some more. also, depending on how many songs, I may have completly differant flashing graphics and such (if you've played Dance Dance Revolution, then you know what i'm talking about, especially the song "El Ritmo Tropical" or something like that).

any help is appreciated, no money will be accepted though, this is a freeware game, totaly, not even any extras to buy to enchance your game.
That is a great idea for a game, but a name will be tough, I am never ood with names so I can't halp you there but maybe something like make the arows move in an upward motion and use the Entered proc with some If's. You probally know this already but want to make a more eficient system though. Well those are my 2 cents. Good luck, it sounds fun!
Cool idea... I've never played the original...but I assume that the steps called for are to the beat of the music?

In which case...you'll have to come up with some way of getting the game program to know what beat a particular song has in order to know what the timing of the arrows should be...

I can only think of two ways this can be handled...

1) Each song has to be divided up into one sound for every beat... Not one continuous song that plays...but a bunch of little chunks that play in succession... When the proc that plays the next sound is called...it can also be set to activate a particular arrow... However...this is not a particularly efficient method...and it can lead to songs skipping a bit if there's any lag or whatnot...

2) Pre-program the activation of each arrow for each song in the game... When a new song is selected...it also starts its own step proc that is timed via sleep()s or something similar to activate each arrow in the proper timing and sequence... This is slightly better than the first option...but it's probably rather time consuming (especially if you plan to have a lot of songs)...and it will probably be rather difficult to get the sleep()s synchronised to the song (taking a lot of testing and tweaking)...

There may be other ways to use...but these are the most obvious to me...