ID:154233

I was wondering how I should go about making the battle system for my game "Super Hero Bash!". Should I do it just by general stats? I was thinking of making it by specific stats. Like a person with eyebeam powers would probably have a energy power of lets say 1. But I don't know how I cold elaborate on this without resorting to the general stats (attack,defense). Any ideas?

I'm trying not to make it not so level based. And when you do finally gain a few levels, you gain a new variation of your original power. Like if you had an eyebeam power, your variation of your skill would be multi eyebeam shots. That way instead of just getting WAY stronger, you would get a little stronger, but with cool new ways to use your skill. But, what happens when the player gets bored with his new skill? Any thoughts?

-sariat
Maybe a more simple approach to the stats, hm? I was thinking of maybe when you create your character, you have to choose which order you want your skills in. So if you wanted a melee fighter type, you could pick the skills in the order you wanted to be the strongest: Melee, Hand to Hand, etc... I think you get the point. What ever you choose to be the highest skill, will be the strongest, the lowest will be the weakest. This will allow for character customization, and you could add requirements to learn new Super Powers. Be sure to have variety or players will get bored quickly.
In response to Mertek
Hey, drop me al ine sometime. I want to get deeper into this.
One way to do it would be to approach it similar to what DBZ Spar did. Let them choose a new power every level or so but let them choose a power they already have. That would increase the power of that ability and the ways they can use the ability.

Basically, do like you said where you gain different variations on that attack but also make the previous attacks of that type a little stronger. That way they can choose to have either a wide range of weak powers or a few (or one) stronger ones.

You could also have hidden stats if you wanted to. Meaning players would get stats based upon what powers they choose and which ones they use the most often. A person who chooses eye beam and Jet would have a little higher agility and energy than somone who chose Super Strength and Admantium skeleton. You could also vary the stat gains based upon the benefit of the power. Spider abilities (which I've noticed are popular) could give you very few stat increases whereas less popular powers (like Jet) would give you more.
In response to English
I see you've been playing. Another thing, I was thinking of only limiting powers to one. So people wouldn't have lots of powers or ultra invincible characters.
In response to Sariat
Or perhaps just limit it to a few powers (2-3). The more powers they have the weaker those powers would be though.

One power per character would too. Just depends on what direction you want to take the game in :)