ID:154236

Does anyone out there have a proc that works like range, accept that it uses a circle formation instead of a square? I don't have a clue how to setup things using those mathmatical puzzles...
Gonna use that solar system idear? :P
Yep. My BasicMath library has exactly that. You can find it at AbyssDragon.TheAbyss.

That reminds me, however, that I need to get around to bugging Deadron into putting my libs back into DM.Library.

-AbyssDragon
Foomer wrote:
Does anyone out there have a proc that works like range, accept that it uses a circle formation instead of a square? I don't have a clue how to setup things using those mathmatical puzzles...

This proc is for atoms, but you can easily convert it to your needs:
sd_get_dist(atom/A, atom/B)
/* Returns the mathematical 3D distance between two atoms. */
return sqrt((A.x - B.x)**2 + (A.y - B.y)**2 + (A.z - B.z)**2)
Foomer wrote:

Try this out:
proc/crange(dist,atom/center=usr)
var/list/L=list()
var/distsq=dist*(dist+1)
for(atom/A in range(dist,center))
var/cursq=(A.x-center.x)*(A.x-center.x)+(A.y-center.y)*(A.y-center.y)
if(cursq<=distsq) L+=A
return L

I use dist*(dist+1) because odds are you don't want an exact distance check, but would like to round out the jagged edges of your circle a little better; if you don't, then the edges of the circle would always be points:
  x
xxx
xxCxx
xxx
x

That's different from the way my routine would do it:
 xxx
xxxxx
xxCxx
xxxxx
xxx

That's because if you're directly north/south/east/west, and move off to the side, the distance from center is suddenly sqrt(dist*dist+1), which would be over the limit. dist*(dist+1) is the nearest integer to (dist+0.5)**2, however.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Oh! I misunderstood the question until I read your post, Lummox. I definately need to read closer.
In response to Lummox JR
That's because if you're directly north/south/east/west, and move off to the side, the distance from center is suddenly sqrt(dist*dist+1), which would be over the limit. dist*(dist+1) is the nearest integer to (dist+0.5)**2, however.

It took me a couple minutes to figure out why the proc didn't contain sqrt() and round(). Pretty nifty!
In response to Gughunter
Gughunter wrote:

It took me a couple minutes to figure out why the proc didn't contain sqrt() and round(). Pretty nifty!

Yeah, you don't need to work with square roots as long as you can work with squares. With integer math that helps a lot, and it's a good idea in any situation where you need to save time. I suspect this proc will be blasted inefficient as it is anyway.

Lummox JR
In response to Shadowdarke
That's okay, I found a use for yours, too :o)