ID:154252

i just thought up a crazy game idea-

it takes place on a map that looks somewhat like a chess board. when a player logs on, they must choose a chess piece to play as. The teams (white and black) have to fight each other according to the rules of chess, except that the game runs in real time. there can only be players up to the amount of peices in real chess (i.e. 1 king, 1 queen, 2 bishops etc.) Movement would work just like in real chess (knights have to move in an "L" pattern)..

Like I said, it's a crazy idea, but it would be cool. And was it original or what?
Airson wrote:
And was it original or what?

Well no... you just took chess and made it real-time. How is that original? :P
In response to Vortezz
I thought it was very clever of him. Chess has been changed from one form to another since the beginning of its existence. When chess first started out the queen could only move one space. it wasn't until hundreds of years later that she was given her almighty ability. Nobody plays the old way anymore. So innovations are good for chess. just don't go trying to make her super saiyan or anything ok?
In response to Canar
Canar wrote:
I thought it was very clever of him. Chess has been changed from one form to another since the beginning of its existence. When chess first started out the queen could only move one space. it wasn't until hundreds of years later that she was given her almighty ability. Nobody plays the old way anymore. So innovations are good for chess. just don't go trying to make her super saiyan or anything ok?

And in modern times, playing with the Chess rules is a respected past-time. There are all sorts of variations, done as computer games and board games.

Having Chess variants in BYOND would be great.
I think thats a really cool idea. The only problem is, there needs to be some sort of objective... something to force some strategy. Otherwise, everyone will want to be the Queen (whoever gets to be a Queen will always win), and no one will want to be stuck being the King, much less a Pawn.

-AbyssDragon
In response to Canar
The idea is fine. I think it was the claim of originality that was argued. Variations of chess have been done, real-time ones included. This does not mean it should not be done in BYOND.