ID:154253

there are alot of people here on byond who really know what they are doing. could it be at all possible for us to combine our views and skills to achieve the ultimate goal which is a game without limits. I think the only way to get this is through everyone building upon the same game. of course variations will be produced but there goes that limitless thing again, I know it sounds totally the opposite of what everybody usually thinks, but think about it this way... console games for like the ps2 and whatnot are made by teams of developers working together to create their goal. It could be done, through planning and specific assignments to detail, it could be done...
It would more than likely turn into everyone hating everyone else because of different opinions on one thing or another.
In response to Nadrew
nadrew you are probably right. but think about it, if everyone kept the same goal in mind, and as a team carefully developed the concept, I think the result would be amazing. Alright... what if the team wasn't very big. I have a few ideas...
Canar wrote:
there are alot of people here on byond who really know what they are doing. could it be at all possible for us to combine our views and skills to achieve the ultimate goal which is a game without limits. I think the only way to get this is through everyone building upon the same game. of course variations will be produced but there goes that limitless thing again, I know it sounds totally the opposite of what everybody usually thinks, but think about it this way... console games for like the ps2 and whatnot are made by teams of developers working together to create their goal. It could be done, through planning and specific assignments to detail, it could be done...

When working towards any goal, I've found that it's best to find someone with the same tastes that you have.

Al, a British bloke whose time difference apparently drove him away from BYOND, was working with me to make an open-source software package which would communicate with a central closed-source hub, obtain the appropriate password authentication, and allow other people to interconnect between games made with that package. People could be playing a sci-fi MUD one minute, then take their character and the experience with it into a Wild West MUD.

It looked promising, which made it kinda disappointing to not get off the ground.
In response to Spuzzum
so then that settles it... who has the same tastes as me? I want to make a game in which the users control it not the creators. That is why this open source thing is so crucial. No one creator will have the power to take that away. I want a game that simulates a fantasy world in which anything is possible.
FoomerMUD is intended to be open source just like that, only people aren't intended to work together on the same MUD. Rather, they people can add "libraries", or little chunks of code that'll function within the MUD for anyone else to you, just by adding them to the channel. That way, people can basically pick and choose which features they want from what other people have done, and with a bit of programming (that does require SOME skill) they can impliment those features into their own MUD. FoomerMUD itself is just the engine (parser, movement code, etc...) that runs the thing.

Now, I plan to require a BYONDscape subscription (hopefully) in order to access it. Maybe that'll screen out some of the unwanted people who'll try to add more junk to the hub based on other people's hard work.
In response to Canar
There are a lot of possibilities to that, could you expand on exactly what you want a little more?
In response to Foomer
I want for the user to develop the world how they see fit. There will be guidelines that the users insert themselves into of course like government, military, trade and so forth. The player starts out with no class and the only thing they choose is their race and gender. I want it to be RPG/strategy/economic/whatever else we can incorporate without straying from the base. As the game progresses players insert themselves into the guidelines where they see fit(aka class selection). If they want to open a shop they have to have it built. I want to see nations develop(through guidelines) and revolution. Then with alternate nations comes conflict and fighting. I want this game to be so much that I can't even think of it all. And everything I have said is possible.
In response to Foomer
Now, I plan to require a BYONDscape subscription (hopefully) in order to access it. Maybe that'll screen out some of the unwanted people who'll try to add more junk to the hub based on other people's hard work.

Splendid! We're working on revising the BYONDscape submission guidelines to provide more compensation for authors of BYONDscape-only games, too.

In response to Canar
Canar wrote:
I want for the user to develop the world how they see fit. There will be guidelines that the users insert themselves into of course like government, military, trade and so forth. The player starts out with no class and the only thing they choose is their race and gender. I want it to be RPG/strategy/economic/whatever else we can incorporate without straying from the base. As the game progresses players insert themselves into the guidelines where they see fit(aka class selection). If they want to open a shop they have to have it built. I want to see nations develop(through guidelines) and revolution. Then with alternate nations comes conflict and fighting. I want this game to be so much that I can't even think of it all. And everything I have said is possible.

Big ideas but, realistically, difficult to implement. The entire system is doable of course, but you are going to need masses of people to be playing constantly. Your idea is to create a game system where the economy, storyline and all character development is completely driven by users themselves. Believe me when I say that nearly every dreaming game developer (or developer wannabe) has thought of this idea before. I was planning out a building system myself for characters to be able to provide goods to one another that have visible qualities. When trading there would be no established prices, only what people are willing to trade. That is sort of unrealistic already, unless you are talking about a lot of consistent playing going on.
I have the same vision as you, but don't expect to implement the super-game anytime soon, unless you can make some smart ai to play as the 300 support characters building your nations for the 20 online humans.
In response to Cybergen
I mentioned earlier that this game would be a system of guidelines. The guidelines develop the classes and everything. The user evolves along the guidelines. If there are a lot of users then the game is more advanced. If there are few users it is simple and without many options.
In response to Canar
Well the last 3 open source projects i've seen (a few spanning more than 5 years) have ended up overexpanding and totalling going bla (for lack of a more technical term). I think we should leave the dev teams to the professionals, and do our demos :p
In response to Cybergen
You COULD just host it once a week. Like MLAAS, it would be more popular.
DDT.
In response to Spuzzum
That sounds a good deal like a future view of TextMUD. However, I'll need to get a server secured and ready before I can deploy the TextMUD Hub software.
In response to Sariat
?
In response to Dreq
yea I already abandoned the idea. byond development is different than professional stuff. and it should stay that way... end of story.
In response to Canar
There is already a team like that, its called, DDT.