ID:154266

Hey,
I'm just wondering if its possible to use 2 different map files for 1 game, rather than using the Z co-ord. or whatever it is.
(say there were 3 in the Z co-ord) It'd make it so all 3 "Areas" of that map are the same size.. say 20x20, if its not possible to do the first question, is there a way of changing the size of the "area" so it isn't the same size as the other 2 Z Co-ords of the map file???

Thanx
Yeah before I knew better I thought this was the only way you were suppose to do it. Thank god someone pointed me in the right direction, as the number of map files I would have generated would have numbered into the 100s.

But yeah u can do it, the only problem is there is no real control over it like there is with just 1. Also if when ever you decide to add a map to one, the Z buffers get all wacky and misplaced, so u have to go back and change the Z choords for all your transports etc. Not a good way to do it, also I heard even though the map looks bigger or smaller its still the actual same size as the largest map.

Also since changing over to a 1 map file system I've learned to make use of all that extra space for my smaller maps. What I do is make what I can a void tile, opacity = 1, density = 1, and I just make it solid black. Also its the world's default tile, instead of grass or anything else. Then what you can do for say upper floors, smaller cities, anything that doesn't take up the whole map space, I draw that items out always leaving a void space in between my smaller maps. Then you just reference to that Z map and the X,Y area on it. It looks like a puzzle in the editor, but in game play you'd never notice.

LJR
In response to LordJR
Thanks LordJR
that helps loads :D
Thanx again :)
In response to LordJR
LordJR wrote:
What I do is make what I can a void tile, opacity = 1, density = 1, and I just make it solid black.

My divider tiles (same theory as LJR's void tiles) also include an Enter() proc overide to prevent non-dense atoms from passing through it. If your players don't have access to anything that could change their density, you don't have to worry about this.

Enter()
return 0 // nothing can enter this turf

In response to Shadowdarke
hmmm Not a bad protection measure 2 lines I could add just in case, having magic in the game one never knows :)