ID:154283

how should i calculate defence, attack, and what not when people attack. And how about how much is added each lvl? I was just / damage by defence than * power but i think it made just a few lvls to much of a diffrence. So how do you guys do it?
Is this a question you really need to ask? Take some creative liberties!

Defense can be whatever you want, it can remove a set amount from the damage, it can remove a random amount from the damage, it can remove certain types of damage from the damage, it can divide the damage by a certain amount (then round it back), etc... Same goes for everything else.
In response to Foomer
well in my past game i did but i wanted to see what others have done, my'n made it to hard to kill anything or be killed and i wanted to knoe what you guys did, but i dont like it to just minus damage, it seems to easy then.
So the problem is that the damage scales too fast? that is to say, each gain in level adds too much power?

This is fairly easy to deal with, and I would suggest that what you determine first is how much more powerful a level 10 character is than a first level.

Count the average hits that it should take a level one character to kill a tenth level character. Do the same for the tenth against the first. This will give you a ratio(fraction). never thought you would use these after school? Ha ha!

level one character: 20 hits to kill 10th level character.
level ten character: 6 hits to kill a first level.

ratio: 6/20 or 0.3.

so each level gained should add 0.3 damage, or 1 point every three levels.

That help?
In response to ThreeFingerPete
looks like a good idea, hum well i think the power will be a bit diffrent. But the basics are the same thanks looks help full.
In response to Scoobert
It is always better to advance the power of a character slowly, as it allows for more levels to be relevant. If a 30th level warrior can kill anything less than 20th level, no problem, then there is not much difference between him, and a 40th or 50th leveler. Once you get to the uber levels, characters of your stature are so rare that all you have is one shot kills everywhere you go.

The other option is to use a divisor for power levels. Just because you have a power of 60, doesnt mean that you are 60 times more deadly. You might only be six times, or 60% (1.6) times more powerful. Keep the numbers low, and things wont snowball on you.
In response to Scoobert
Scoobert wrote:
i dont like it to just minus damage, it seems to easy then.

Determine the force of the swing, mass of the weapon, angle of attack, area of the point of impact, hardness and density of the target. Calculate if the attack penetrates, crushes, or bounces aside with negligible damage. Then, determine which organs (including bones) beneath the point of impact are damaged and to what degree.

Each organ has nasty side effects to being punctured or crushed and different healing times. Some organs can never completely heal from damage. Healing rate should also depend on the nutitional intake of the player.

No, this isn't how any of my games do it. Mine just subtract damage. ;)
In response to Shadowdarke
That would be lot. Nothank you on some of that.
I'll ask you a question -- it's in the interests of helping you out, not as prying into your private life.

What level of mathematical education have you last finished? I.e. what was the most difficult mathematical topic you've studied in school thus far?
In response to Spuzzum
ummm.... i dont know, im only in Alg. 1B( alg. 1 is a 2 part cours in my scool) But i guess umm...Well see th most avanced has stuff like powers in it and i dont think byond can do thim withought typing out a*a*a*a and stuff like that so i'da'kno'
In response to Scoobert
In response to Scoobert
Scoobert wrote:
ummm.... i dont know, im only in Alg. 1B( alg. 1 is a 2 part cours in my scool) But i guess umm...Well see th most avanced has stuff like powers in it and i dont think byond can do thim withought typing out a*a*a*a and stuff like that so i'da'kno'

Cinnom pointed out the link to the exponent operator.

Do you know of non-integer exponents yet? I.e. X to the power of 0.75? That produces a curve that slowly but surely drops off in effectiveness.

I'd recommend logarithms over non-integer exponents, but those are probably out of your league right now. I myself wasn't taught up until last year, which was supposed to be my final year of math in high school -- but I took two courses of math in one year (one per semester) to get myself a year ahead. Not exactly the wisest decision, considering my lack of aptitude for math, but it was reasonable enough. =)
In response to Spuzzum
ill try one on my grafix cal on my computer to see how much it drops.

Edit
i was looking at the DM refrence and saw something that puzled me, A = A * B. The only way that thats posible is if b is 1 or a is 0 so whats the point? well i guess people can do some odd things with stuff like that.
In response to Scoobert
Scoobert wrote:

i was looking at the DM refrence and saw something that puzled me, A = A * B. The only way that thats posible is if b is 1 or a is 0 so whats the point?

It most certainly is possible. RL mathmatics can be a little different than acidemic maths.

The meaning of A = A * B is that you take the current value of A, and multiply it by B. Then you store this value back in A. This would be equivalent to...

A = (4) * B. If B is two, then the new value of A would be 8.
In response to ThreeFingerPete
oh ok i was thinking of a if statement which would make i do that.