ID:1542975

(See the best response by MDC.)
You know I understand how byond stays out of the way of other peoples games. However in a DDos situation its almost out of the hosts control to block this. I mean granted you can go to your ISP and report them but that doesnt always work even more so on large scale companies.

That being said I dont see why byond doesnt atleast take a bit more of a stance on this I mean if you could clearly prove the person is attacking the server why would byond not simply ban the person from the site. Then it can simi resolve the issue because then the player cannot directly connect back to byond because byond can ban the hardware id via pager. This would stop them from using DDos attacks if the host then changes their IP. While I understand its up to the host to block the people if the people in question can reconnect to the game even after a ban aka using another computer on a proxy. Then your simply left with guessing who the person is if they dont trash talk.

At that point they are only connecting to you to get your ip to continue the attack. While I agree byond shouldnt dirty its hands in ingame issues DDos isnt something a host can simple fix by going YOUR BANNED! That isnt how DDos works if you have an ip you can attack it all day long blocked or not. Granted you can setup your network to block DDos attacks but it still will put a slow on the server and if they have enough slave computers during the attack it can bring down the server....

I just want to see how people feel about this and more or less get a reply and what people think lets not start a war here. :)
The host can contact their ISP if they're being DDOS'd. BYOND can't and won't do anything about it.
And even if BYOND were to do something about it, what would you actually suggest they would do?

Act upon those one suspects of perpetrating the attack? There's no readily-available surefire way to prove who performed the attacks. So at this point, it's your word against the word of the party you accuse.

Furthermore, it would be a gigantic financial endeavour for BYOND to systematically protect hosts against DDoS attacks. You think they'll absorb the bandwidth costs that such attacks would occur? Highly unlikely, since they don't have the budget to do that.

And even with that aside. If I was either Tom or Lum, I wouldn't go poke guys that could DDoS me just because SSJCloud666exclamationmark said they DDoS'd his friend's connection, especially if there is a monetary impact.
Best response
The point is that BYOND cannot do something about it. That's what you and so many others here do not understand. There is nothing, and I mean nothing, BYOND can do about a server hosted by ANYONE being DDOS'd.

Now for the host's ISP, they CAN do something about it. Let's say that the host's ISP is Verizon. They can contact Verizon and let them know and Verizon can actually check what's being going on with their internet. They track everything and they can do something about it.
In response to MDC
MDC wrote:
The point is that BYOND cannot do something about it. That's what you and so many others here do not understand.

I can't appreciate someone telling me I don't understand something while said person clearly missed my point. I was actually agreeing with you, and just driving the point home by rebutting any and all "possibilities". Your disparaging comment was uncalled for.
BYOND isn't being DDoSed, YOU are.

Why would one interfere with another, it's your problem, so go to your ISP.
DOS and DDOS attacks are a crime in the United States. They should be reported to the proper authorities if you're being targeted for these types of attacks with all forms of logs that you can provide.

This is something that requires full-time network hardening. If you're being attacked and cannot protect your network, then you're better off hiring a hosting company to host your game. Most companies offer assistance for servers that are being attacked by a malicious user and do well with working with their customers to mitigate risk.
In response to Marth.SK
Marth.SK wrote:
MDC wrote:
The point is that BYOND cannot do something about it. That's what you and so many others here do not understand.

I can't appreciate someone telling me I don't understand something while said person clearly missed my point. I was actually agreeing with you, and just driving the point home by rebutting any and all "possibilities". Your disparaging comment was uncalled for.

Sorry. I didn't mean to sound that way if I came off that way. I honestly skimmed through your comment and thought you were complaining that BYOND should do something about it, haha.