ID:154299

Ok, lately I've been working on a game (well, I just started today, but I've been planning it for awhile) thta is all about building a "perfect" world. Whatever you view as a "perfect" world, you can basicly make (I dont plan on making "Homosapiens", but I do plan on making something like that which can build tools, learn, ect.). You use, what is called "TP" (short for Terraform Points) to terraform the planet, making anything from building dirt, water, animals, plants, and even changing the atmosphere. Your TP is depleted upon doing any of those actions, at varying costs. What adds more fun is there are other people who have differant opinions on a "perfect" world, and thus they build it against you. When you begin you get so choose bewteen things such as aliens, robots, or even gods to build the planet. The part I'm not exactly sure how to add, is the gaining of TP. I just dont know how you will gain it. Any ideas, suggestions, comments are welcome, just no flames, trolls, or anything else.
How do the players interact with each other? is it combat based or based on viability/sustainability, or is it simular to an art competition?

You might want the lowest scoring player to gain the most points so that they can better terraform their world, so as to stay competative with the better scorers. There is a term for this that escapes me at the moment, but its like the loser in a sporting event getting a consolation prize.
Maybe the tp can be determined by how happy the world you create is. Or maybe by its economy or military might. Maybe all worlds link together and pay tribute to each other depending on its current state. Or maybe make others pay tribute or go to war. Or maybe a combination of these. Im not sure what Im talking about anymore...just some ideas I guess. A central government maybe . Or acheivement awards. Do I make any sence?

Wall04
Is this more of a "Build a city then destroy the other guy" game, or a "build a city that's better than the other guy" game? Is it going to have any military stuff, or just mindful building like simcity? if it'll require any kind of sustaining your people while building what you want, like simcity, then by all means make the Toilet Paper increase depending on how happy your people are. And you could even change what makes them happy depending on what you are, alien, robot, water bugs, whatever.
I'd advise against making TP gain based very closely on how successful you are... otherwise, as soon as one guy gets a world that starts looking a bit better than the other players', he starts getting more and more and more TP and it becomes harder and harder for anyone to catch up. So I think it should basically just slowly rise over time, though perhaps a small bonus for being successful might make things a bit more interesting (like check who's got the "best" world once every few minutes, and award that player a small amount of bonus TPs).
In response to Ernie Dirt
You mean like a handicap?

Maybe once you gain zero TP per tick you've created the "perfect" world and you win.

Although you would have to have a maximum TP storage or else you could just save up a bunch when you have a crappy planet then use it all at once.

This actually sounds alot like SimEarth. If it is similar to that just one suggestion, don't make the TP go up too slowly. in SimEarth you spend most of your time just sitting there waiting for the TP to build up enough so you can build a bacteria, it would usually take about 20 minutes of saving to build something that simple. I quite after about an hour and never played it again :p
In response to English
This actually sounds alot like SimEarth. If it is similar to that just one suggestion, don't make the TP go up too slowly. in SimEarth you spend most of your time just sitting there waiting for the TP to build up enough so you can build a bacteria, it would usually take about 20 minutes of saving to build something that simple. I quite after about an hour and never played it again :p

It's more fun in Experimentation mode, because you're truly omnipotent.

Odd that you mentioned SimEarth... I just installed it from my old disk yesterday.
In response to Spuzzum
hah! I own sim earth too! I have a world of the duck-people!!! and the frog people are almost at exodus!
I think you should gain TP every.... ten seconds, or whatever, every minute you get 10 more TP, you may also want to cancel this if there is inactivity from a player, like program an else for inactive users
In response to Ter13
I think that's a good idea. Maybe you will also be able to build "solar collectors" (yes, the sun(s) also plays a major role", "Water Collector", and other things, but there will be a limit on each one set by the host. They will increase your TP gain.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
hah! I own sim earth too! I have a world of the duck-people!!! and the frog people are almost at exodus!

Wow! I have Sim Earth for my old SNes. I wonder how your ducks evolved into that. I would like to buy a copy of Sim Life thought, just can't find a place to buy it without the bundle pack that I contain every other sim game except for that.
In response to Geo
I have a copy of sim life, somewhere, but it doesn't run on my fancy new computer, or the computer before that even. Don't you just love those "You need -64560 RAM" type messages?
In response to Foomer
Isn't there some trick to getting arround old games that can't handle the newer computers high speeds?

I think you have to run them in dos mode, or run them from a boot disk or something like that...
In response to Foomer
you can get special software that slows the clock on your computer so that these old games will run. Most of them are freeware, apparently.