ID:154316

I had a idea, In the title screen of my game, I'm going to try to make a new character generation screen, what it does is if you load a character by clicking the button (all buttons will be on the title screen until your in game), it just loads whatever character you choose after that. For the new character creation, it'd warp you to a screen where you choose your portrait, your stats to be upgraded, any signifigant (curses, spelt that wrong) history, and what else. However, I am trying to figure out how I should make it handle multiple people using it. I can't make allot of z levels that has that, and I dont really know how to make it copy that z level and warp players to it (like the randomly made map, but instead it will just make one looking exactly like the character creation screen). Any suggestions for doing this, or comments, or anything else related to this?
Geo wrote:
However, I am trying to figure out how I should make it handle multiple people using it.

Whenever you want players to see different things in the same spot, use images. An image is only seen by the person/people you send it to.

So you have the objects there with no icons, and when a player logs in, for those objects you send the player the images you want them to see.
Geo wrote:
I had a idea, In the title screen of my game, I'm going to try to make a new character generation screen, what it does is if you load a character by clicking the button (all buttons will be on the title screen until your in game), it just loads whatever character you choose after that. For the new character creation, it'd warp you to a screen where you choose your portrait, your stats to be upgraded, any signifigant (curses, spelt that wrong) history, and what else. However, I am trying to figure out how I should make it handle multiple people using it. I can't make allot of z levels that has that, and I dont really know how to make it copy that z level and warp players to it (like the randomly made map, but instead it will just make one looking exactly like the character creation screen). Any suggestions for doing this, or comments, or anything else related to this?

i hate to reign on your parade, but geo, i showed you this a while back, it seems uncoicindental(i kant speil) that you are doing this. Of course i cant stop you, but i can choose not to help you! =)

FIREking
In response to Deadron
Images work like a charm :p

sounds like a cool idea

:p
In response to FIREking
FIREking wrote:
i hate to reign on your parade, but geo, i showed you this a while back, it seems uncoicindental(i kant speil) that you are doing this. Of course i cant stop you, but i can choose not to help you! =)

Let's see...other games have been doing this for 20 years, Spuzzum showed a very cool browser-based character screen like this close to 2 years ago...

But oh yeah, you own the idea.
In response to Deadron
Deadron wrote:
FIREking wrote:

Let's see...other games have been doing this for 20 years, Spuzzum showed a very cool browser-based character screen like this close to 2 years ago...

But oh yeah, you own the idea.

no deadron.

the way he described it sounds VERY similair to mine.

I am not saying its wrong for him to do it, i am simply saying he IS copying. 2 years or 2 weeks no matter. Its like someone shows you a picture at your house, and as soon as you see it, you walk into the other room and paint a picture just like it. That is copying in my opinion.

I seriously dont care that he does it, thats like saying, HEY I MADE THAT TEXT BOX FIRST, ITS MINE, when infact all text boxes are pretty much the same. I cant complain, i am just saying its weird how i just recently showed him this, and now he decides he is going to make one too.

FIREking

p.s. But then again, how can images be copyrighted? Just thinking about this as i finished the post. Lets say a 32x32 image for example, how can you copyright such a thing? its just 1024 pixels in a file. I gaurantee that anyone could draw one that is similair to it or exactley like it. How is that illegal? Oh well, thats the system.
In response to FIREking

FIREking

I don't plan on making it like that, I plan on something completely differant, where you choose bonuses to stats by pressing a left/right arrow and it changes the stat number +1/-1 and has the stat number in the middle of it. If you have seen the game Arcanum, then you would know what kind of character creation I was planning.
In response to Geo
Geo wrote:

FIREking

I don't plan on making it like that, I plan on something completely differant, where you choose bonuses to stats by pressing a left/right arrow and it changes the stat number +1/-1 and has the stat number in the middle of it. If you have seen the game Arcanum, then you would know what kind of character creation I was planning.

man this was stupid to even start an argument over.

sorry

FIREking
In response to FIREking
man this was stupid to even start an argument over.

sorry

it's alright, I do not take it as a argument, but a misconception, which happens all the time
In response to FIREking
FIREking wrote:
p.s. But then again, how can images be copyrighted? Just thinking about this as i finished the post. Lets say a 32x32 image for example, how can you copyright such a thing? its just 1024 pixels in a file. I gaurantee that anyone could draw one that is similair to it or exactley like it. How is that illegal? Oh well, thats the system.

Any original work can be copyrighted. If two people arrive by something differently, or it's a common enough thing that a copyright is absurd (like a solid color) that's another matter.

Think of it like copyrighting a 1000-word essay. Considering the number of words in any language, each pixel in a 24-bit image technically contains more information than a single word (24 bits = 16,777,216 possible values).

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
A picture is worth a thousand words! A hyuk!