ID:154321

Just a little question that doesn't really mean much but is something I'd like to know.
What's everyone's favorite "say" format?
Mine's:

mob/verb/say(T as text)
oview()<<"[usr] [copytext(html_encode(T),1,250)]"
usr<<"You say: [copytext(html_encode(T),1,250)]"
In response to Nadrew
Mine is:
        Say(msg as text)
set category = "Chat"
view() << "[usr] says [msg]"

In response to Pillsverry
Those are all nice, but I think /he meant, what format the message appears as in the text window. If I am correct, then here is my opinion: keep it simple! I see a lot of games that really go overboard with their text formats. Things like:

<font color=yellow><={[MASTER LORD GM GOD EXTREEME]}=></font><font color=green>Xooxer</font><font color=blue> says:</font> "<font color=red>Hiya!</font>"

are not only gawdy, but can really make it hard to read what people are saying. I feel a nice:

Xooxer says: "Hiya!"

is really all you should need. Although it is also not a bad idea to change things slightly for various chat modes, such as:

Emote:

<font color=blue>Xooxer thinks this is neato-keen!</font>

Shout:

Xooxer shouts: "Anyone alive in here?"

Whisper:

Xooxer whispers: <font color=silver>"Nice armor..."</font>

Keep it simple, and you should have no complaints!

~X
In response to Xooxer
Xooxer wrote:
Those are all nice, but I think /he meant, what format the message appears as in the text window. If I am correct, then here is my opinion: keep it simple! I see a lot of games that really go overboard with their text formats. Things like:

<font color=yellow><={[MASTER LORD GM GOD EXTREEME]}=></font><font color=green>Xooxer</font><font color=blue> says:</font> "<font color=red>Hiya!</font>"

Thats somthing like what you see in most DB games, and I think that showing off that you're a GM by having:

"xx MASTER GOD GM WHO OWNS ALL THAT YOU MUST WORSHIP THE GROUND THEY WALK ON xx Pillsverry"

is stupid, and that you have an Ego bigger than space

Xooxer says: "Hiya!"
Simplicity is Quality

Keep it simple, and you should have no complaints!
Thats the truth(unless its nit pickers who dont like you and spam your game)
Echelon wrote:
What's everyone's favorite "say" format?

I've always thought "Bob says, ..." is tacky. My preferred format, the same format I use in my chat, is the good old dialogue format:

Bob: Hiya.

Using bold type on the names is handy too. I want to double-check CSS to see if there's a way I could throw in some fancy word-wrap, so that every line after the first is indented a little bit. Does BYOND's text output support that? I have no idea.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
I was wondering that myself, I'll have to see what CSS can do about it... I don't think it would be a simple operation, as clients can be changed to affect the text window, throwing off any sort of offset you might be relying on... I doubt it will make THE LIST...

~X
In response to Lummox JR
I think certain things in CSS have been disabled by BYOND, hover for links is one, I'm not sure about word-wrap, I've never tried.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
I've always thought "Bob says, ..." is tacky. My preferred format, the same format I use in my chat, is the good old dialogue format:

Bob: Hiya.

I like this format too. The bold name makes it easy to separate the text into readable chunks and if you think the person is a twit, you know it's not worth your time to read the following text.

The "Bob says" method with no highlights tends to run together into a large unreadable mush of text, especially when several people post at the same time.
Well, my text engine's chat verb is a few hundreds of lines long, but it boils down to this:

Default format:

Yourname (Yourkey): Yourmessage

Emote:

[Emote] Yourname (Yourkey) Youremotetext

Tell:

[Tell] Yourname (Yourkey) tells Tellname: Yourmessage

OOC:

[OOC] Yourname (Yourkey): YourMessage
In response to Lord of Water
for the say i use

Tapion1 says : Hello

Shout

<font color=blue>Tapion1 shouts : Hello</font color=blue>

i like Say to stand out more because your usualy talking to some1 privatly so i use bold so you can pick it out more than shout

Shout i use blue font because just reqular font is hard to see especialy when your trying to talk to some1 that is away from say distance and there are a bunch of ppl in the world using Shout