ID:154330

Ok, I got a question.
Would you like it if a game(RPG) was level-less?
Ex: You fight something, get 2 Skill Points from it.
--Then you head to the Trainer, and you get a menu of things to improve, Ex: Str, Def, Int, Wis, Piety, or Learn a Skill
1:You choose Piety, and it asks you if you would like to use 2 skill points to raise Piety 1 point.
2:You choose to learn a Skill. A Menu of Skills comes up
Ex: Learn: Heal-2,Haste-4,Clairvoyance-6
You choose Heal, because you only have 2 skill points and it asks you if you wish to learn it and you do. And you have that Skill from now on.

Would anyone like this? Or am I wasting my time?

WickedEdge

-If the history is to change, let it change, if the world is to be destroyed, so be it, but if my fate is to die... I must simply laugh.
-Magus
I was actually thinking of doing something just like this for my sequel to Duel! It's something I'd really like to see in an RPG. (Don't worry about the me thinking of doing it, I'll probably stick in a different kind of level-less system)

-If the history is to change, let it change, if the world is to be destroyed, so be it, but if my fate is to die... I must simply laugh.
-Magus

I know of someone who used that same signature.
I am personally I fan of "level-less gaining" systems.

What a level-based system tends to add is the ability to stop characters from gaining a specific skill/whatever until a predetermined event.

I used a level-less gaining system on a (non-BYOND) MUD. As long as the prices per skill are kept in "proper" balance this should work fine.

Skills/whatever can be gained at multiple events so there needs to be a way to limit players from getting too powerful too fast (or not - if you don't mind the other players complaining). The balance comes from having to choose between a few expensive/powerful skills, many cheap/weak ones, or a mixture.
In response to ACWraith
*nodnods* Level-less is a good thing IMO, just like half the people around here Im working on one too *LOL* not like yours tho ^_~

Giving the player more freedom, or at least more feeling of freedom is -always- a good thing, unless you scare them with it *LOL* ^^;

Elorien, the tipsy @.@
In response to Cinnom
Aright thanks, I was kinda edgy on making it a level based system like FF, but I thought up this idea and it was more appealing to me. I am going to restrict the stats gain, like you can only get STR to a maximum of 50 or 99 whatever.
And skills in my game are classed based.

Cinnom Wrote:
-Magus

I know of someone who used that same signature.

Yeah Meteo Buster...He got that from the ending on Chrono Trigger called "What the Prophet Seeks..." I think Magus is the coolest RPG character aside from Vincent :P
well, first I didnt like level based except for D&D, but I do now. It's not a typical gain though, it does this:
1.you gain 1 character point every level, every 5 levels you gain a extra one, ex:1-4=1 characterpoint, 5-9 2 characterpoints, 10-14 3 character points and so on.
2.These character points are used to upgrade things such as strength and charisma, but they are also used to learn thing such as differant spells and increase your skill in status like strength or health.
3.every level you automaticly gain a upgrade for health and mana. health depending on strength, mana depending on willpower
4.certain spells and stats cant be upgraded or learned unless you are either a certain level and willpower for magic, or intelligence for things such as technology, or unless trained as a apprentice(other things beside apprentice such as master) for things like melee or bow.