ID:154346

I know there isn't any official software out for editing the savefiles that are created by BYOND, but I got to thinking, and it should all be editable in a BYOND program itself, if one was made. So I'm wondering...has anyone sat down and created a savefile editor yet? I was thinking one with functionality that lists all the directories and buffers, and then you can manipulate them by clicking on them.

Any insight would be helpful, as for now, I have to resort to deleting the savefiles when cleaning.

-- John
Felegar wrote:
I know there isn't any official software out for editing the savefiles that are created by BYOND, but I got to thinking, and it should all be editable in a BYOND program itself, if one was made. So I'm wondering...has anyone sat down and created a savefile editor yet? I was thinking one with functionality that lists all the directories and buffers, and then you can manipulate them by clicking on them.

You can view savefiles as plain text by using the savefile.ImportText() and savefile.ExportText() procs. They are documented in the reference. Hopefully that will help you out a bit.
In response to Tom
You can view savefiles as plain text by using the savefile.ImportText() and savefile.ExportText() procs. They are documented in the reference. Hopefully that will help you out a bit.

Yep. Of course, those present major security risks in the form of client-side savefiles. It is for that reason that I suspect Dantom will be working on more advanced encryption routines for their savefiles that require knowledge of a certain passcode to be able to read them.