ID:154365

Can a proc called within a verb end the verb before the verb can continue? I ask this because I want to make it so all of a user's verbs check to see if that user is dead before it continues. If the user is dead I don't want the verbs to continue.

If it's possible how would you suggest I write it?
when you call a proc inside of a verb, the proc is ran all the way through, then continues through the rest of the verb. if there is a sleep inside of the proc, it sleeps and doesnt continue until the sleep is done.

example

mob
verb
test()
src << "test1 Starting..."
test2()
src << "test1 Done!"
proc
test2()
src << "Test2 started"
sleep(30)
src << "Test2 done!"

when test is clicked, it will say
test1 starting

then test2 will be called, and it will say
test2 started

it will then sleep for 3 seconds, and then carry out the rest of the actions in test2, then in test1, then its done.

FIREking
In response to FIREking
How would I make it NOT finish test 1?
In response to Evilkevkev
Evilkevkev wrote:
How would I make it NOT finish test 1?
return 0
In response to Air _King
Reading the original post would help too, Air_King.
Evilkevkev wrote:
Can a proc called within a verb end the verb before the verb can continue? I ask this because I want to make it so all of a user's verbs check to see if that user is dead before it continues. If the user is dead I don't want the verbs to continue.

If it's very simple to check if the usr is dead, for instance if you have a "dead" variable, all you need to do is:

mob/verb/say(msg as text)
if (dead == "yes") return 0
world << "[usr]: [msg]"

But since you wanted to know about procs, with a proc you'd do this:

mob/verb/say(msg as text)
if (Dead()) return 0
world << "[usr]: [msg]"

mob/proc/Dead()
if (dead == "yes") return 1
if (dead == "no") return 0

Z

In response to GateGuardian
You'd think so, but time and time again, FireKing has proven otherwise.
In response to LexyBitch
LexyBitch wrote:
You'd think so, but time and time again, FireKing has proven otherwise.

hehe
Evilkevkev wrote:

It sounds to me like you're looking for a Java-style exception that will just end whole layers of procs if one condition changes. Unfortunately, I don't think this is possible in BYOND.

What you're going to have to do is check for the user's death at different points within the proc and the verb. At which point you check depends on when and how things can change. In an ideal world, the user's death status is not going to change during the verb, so a single if() at the beginning ought to be sufficient. However, if the proc calls sleep(), that's all out the window; you'll need to check again.

To return from multiple levels, you'll have to return out of your proc as soon as the user is dead, then within the verb that called it, check again to see if the user is dead, and if so then call return again from there. It's the most inelegant solution possible, but it's about the only way to do it.

Lummox JR
mob/verb/Climb(obj/O as obj in oview(1))
if(src.dead == 1)
src << "Dead people cannot climb."
return // <-- here is your answer
else
if(istype(O,/obj/Climbable/))
src.loc = O.loc
src.layer = FLY_LAYER
view() << "[src] climbs the [O]"
else
src << "You cannot climb that."

Good luck!