ID:154369

I heard that players only download the part of the map this is currently in their view area, so they never have to download a whole map at a time. But, I either never read about this or missed it somewhere, can someone tell me where I can find the information?
if you have a huge game, your best bet is to set the preload_rsc variable

client
preload_rsc = 0

this way, people only download what they see on the screen, and the sounds that are played in their view.

otherwise, it downloads everything.

FIREking
GateGuardian wrote:
I heard that players only download the part of the map this is currently in their view area, so they never have to download a whole map at a time. But, I either never read about this or missed it somewhere, can someone tell me where I can find the information?

It's true, but it isn't contained in any documentation. What we oldbies learned there, we learned via word-of-mouth. That is, Dan or Tom outright told us that was the case.
In response to Spuzzum
I'm not sure, but I think this actually applies to the information that's sent for screen updating, not the resources. In other words, when you move one square north, the server doesn't send you an update to the whole map--it just updates the tiles that are showing in your map window.