ID:154371

I would like iseas for a battle system. I have a few but i want to see what you guys want. Yes this is a DBZ game but please stay on topic. And keep it positive.
DBZ SUCKS!! BOOOO!!! you wanna a battle system how bout this!!!!!

mob/stupid
icon = 'dbz.dmi'
Im beginning to hate dbz games on BYOND, im not going to diss yours or anything, but you ask my opinion.

I think you should make a FF1 type battle sys. Ive never seen a turn based DBZ battle sys before. i would like to see one.

Rcet
In response to Selderan
dammit i dont like you...
In response to Rcet
i already know the style im gonna do. if anyone has ever played quest 64 im gonna do it like that. but i just need like feature ideas and stuff
I would like iseas for a battle system. I have a few but i want to see what you guys want. Yes this is a DBZ game but please stay on topic. And keep it positive.

Fair enough -- I'll keep this positive. (Actually, I'm a lot less inclined to bash DBZ than I used to be. My current opinion is "the hope of writing a DBZ game will get some people interested enough to really take the time to learn programming, at which point the best ones will realize that they want to use their own world instead of borrowing someone else's". We'll see how correct that is!)

One good source of ideas would be a pen-and-paper RPG. Deadlands, for instance, has a really nice combat system. While I'm not saying that you should just try to implement an already-existing system, I think you could get a lot of ideas from sources like this. Are people harder to hit when they're hiding behind a barrel? How about when they're lying on the ground? Or when they're running?

Most RPG's try to find a way to factor all these things in, while still keeping the game playable without getting bogged down in three-hour combats. If you study a few, you can identify the parts that you like most and discard the rest. Another useful source of ideas could be video games in the so-called "RPG" style (even though they should really be called "Level-Gaining Games" instead of "Role-Playing Games", since most of them require no real acting).

Good luck!
In response to Gughunter
im using the D&D based battle system, from the new series, not the older ones. Farily complicated, but im not using everything the new system offers, since it uses meaningless variables right and left, such as bonus this bonus that, modifier this modifier that. But my battles will be longer than my other games. You dont just walk up to a zombie and start whacking him. You have to strategize about what you will do in your battle. It's a turn based system, such as D&D, kind of like FF Tactics.

To go into detail, when the battle starts, you are on a battle "plain", with a grid. You can move along that grid the number of turns you are allowed to move. You have action points for each round of combat, and you use them up doing various feats, skills, or moves, or whatever. Kind of like Ogre Battle crossed with FF Tactics!

FIREking
In response to FIREking
FF tactics sucked. Ogre Battle was okay... I liked Vandal Hearts! That was a cool game.
In response to Gughunter
I will be doing this, And rocks can block weak ki blast ect.. Also I will have random events that accour during battle sometimes like a strong monster enters a player to player battle and they have to work together to kill it. Just a small portion of what will be in my game. So never underesimate me.

One good source of ideas would be a pen-and-paper RPG. Deadlands, for instance, has a really nice combat system. While I'm not saying that you should just try to implement an already-existing system, I think you could get a lot of ideas from sources like this. Are people harder to hit when they're hiding behind a barrel? How about when they're lying on the ground? Or when they're running?
In response to Lord of Water
the battle system kind of sucked. Just imagine it as turn based, and movement is envolved.
In response to Lord of Water
Ya FF tactics did suck. It was too plain.
In response to FIREking
FFT RULED!? I SPENT NIGHTS ON END WORSHIPPING THAT GAME CLEANING THE CD WITH SACRAFICED LAMB BLOOD! SO DONT START WIT THE FFT SUCKING! i love that game. If that cd had the body of a woman with a double d bust i would marry that game.
In response to Selderan
Selderan wrote:
FFT RULED!? I SPENT NIGHTS ON END WORSHIPPING THAT GAME CLEANING THE CD WITH SACRAFICED LAMB BLOOD! SO DONT START WIT THE FFT SUCKING! i love that game. If that cd had the body of a woman with a double d bust i would marry that game.

agreed! lol
In response to Xzar
it isnt the FFT system you guys, its a system like a board game, the only reason why i mentioned FFT was because it was on a grid. thats the only similarity.

FIREking
I think turn based systems are the best. Just make fights tactical and last longer then 1 second =)

-Bombg
In response to Bombg
It will be time based not turn based
In response to BurningIce
lol, the comment that Selderan made was so stupid, i couldnt even laugh at it. that wasnt even close to a battle system, and naming a mob stupid doesnt do anything either.

FIREking