ID:154375

I'm doing a major rewrite of the Darke Dungeon core and I'm torn when trying to decide which veiw size to use.

The old Darke Dungeon used view size 7 (the same size as Tanks). This size still allows big icons on most systems and let's players see a lot of their environment. The problem is that on an 800 x 600 resolution, it doesn't leave much room for the statpanels and text area.

I've been considering a view size of 6, or even as low as 5. This slightly limits people who use ranged attacks, but provides a lot more room for the statpanel and text area.

What do you all prefer, a larger view area or expanded text and statpanels?
Shadowdarke wrote:
I'm doing a major rewrite of the Darke Dungeon core and I'm torn when trying to decide which veiw size to use.

The old Darke Dungeon used view size 7 (the same size as Tanks). This size still allows big icons on most systems and let's players see a lot of their environment. The problem is that on an 800 x 600 resolution, it doesn't leave much room for the statpanels and text area.

I've been considering a view size of 6, or even as low as 5. This slightly limits people who use ranged attacks, but provides a lot more room for the statpanel and text area.

What do you all prefer, a larger view area or expanded text and statpanels?

View size 7 is actually a little too big for 800x600, so in large-icon mode the bottom row of the display is cut off. I have this problem in Tanks.

Size 5, on the other hand, seems restrictively small. I'd say you're probably best off with size 6.

Lummox JR
Size 10. Don't pander to the low-resolution pansies. Real men run in 1920x1200 (and I'd be running higher if my monitor wasn't a decade old).

Actually, I admit 7 is a decent size. Theoretically, the majority of people out there should have video cards and monitors capable of running in at least 1024x768.
This makes me think, though, that a lot of people keep their desktop in 800x600 for normal desktop use. It'd be nice if BYOND could change resolution on the fly, but it'd have to be a full-screen app for that to work nicely.

-AbyssDragon
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
View size 7 is actually a little too big for 800x600, so in large-icon mode the bottom row of the display is cut off. I have this problem in Tanks.

Oh! I usually leave my task bar on auto hide. I never considered the height of the taskbar getting in the way.

Size 5, on the other hand, seems restrictively small. I'd say you're probably best off with size 6.

Thanks for the input. :)
In response to AbyssDragon
AbyssDragon wrote:
Size 10. Don't pander to the low-resolution pansies. Real men run in 1920x1200 (and I'd be running higher if my monitor wasn't a decade old).

Ouch! I had never considered my masculinity a function of screen resolution before. I feel so inadequate now. :(

Actually, I admit 7 is a decent size. Theoretically, the majority of people out there should have video cards and monitors capable of running in at least 1024x768.
This makes me think, though, that a lot of people keep their desktop in 800x600 for normal desktop use. It'd be nice if BYOND could change resolution on the fly, but it'd have to be a full-screen app for that to work nicely.

I'm still stuck with a 15 inch monitor. I'll have to find one of those pumps that are guaranteed to add 3 inches. :P
In response to AbyssDragon
I'm an 800x600 person, and in a number of games, large-icon mode chops off the lowest icons (like DragonSnot!). I can and do switch to small-icon mode when I have to see the bottom of the screen, but it's a pain and isn't conducive to winning.

Z
In response to Zilal
I'm a 640x480 (Yes I know poor me) person, and that's a pain in the ass for everything.
In response to Nadrew
Poor Nadrew, living in the stone age...
In response to Foomer
Foomer wrote:
Poor Nadrew, living in the stone age...

Better than nothing!!! But really poor me =(
In response to Nadrew
Well, it's good enough for Blizzard :)

With the task bar hidden, view size 5 squeezes big icons on 640x480 well. I'm afraid there's not much room for text or anything else, but 5 is the lowest I'm willing go.

How does everyone else feel about BYOND action games restricted to view 5? Consider that Darke Dungeon uses directional attacks similar to Tanks instead of a click to shoot interface. View 5 means that an archer is only 2 steps out of reach from a warrior with a whip by the time they see each other.
In response to Shadowdarke
Shadowdarke wrote:
View 5 means that an archer is only 2 steps out of reach from a warrior with a whip by the time they see each other.

That will probably be fine, as long as you don't mind very few people playing archers :) I'd say go for 6, and everyone chips in a dime and buys Nadrew a new monitor or vid-card.

flick()
In response to Flick
This system is slowly crashing around me so don't bother, I'll be getting a new one soon.