ID:154384

What would be the major advantages/disadvatages to breaking your source code up into diffrent dm files? (besides the obvious fact of not having to wade through 12,000 lines of code) I assume it would ease the debugging phase by having the game narrow it down to a specific dm file...right?

~Shattered Xoox
What would be the major advantages/disadvatages to breaking your source code up into diffrent dm files? (besides the obvious fact of not having to wade through 12,000 lines of code) I assume it would ease the debugging phase by having the game narrow it down to a specific dm file...right?

Don't underestimate the "not having to wade through" part!

Another good reason is if you're writing code with an eye toward reuse. Designing reusable libraries takes a lot of thought, but it can be very worthwhile. For instance, Deadron is almost to the point where he can create whole games just by copying some .dm files into a directory and changing the values of a few variables. :)

Xooxer wrote:

~Shattered Xoox

It helps immensely in huge projects. My Life as a Spy now has about thirty different code files, each covering one specific aspect of the game. It helps me go right to where I think a problem may be.
There's no disadvantage that I'm aware of. Break your code into as many files as you're comfortable with. (Cerulea has metastasized into 54 different .dm files, averaging maybe 300 lines each... I like that size.)

Z
In response to Gughunter
Yeah, I hear Spuzzum can materialize code from mearly uttering a few inutterable words....
In response to Xooxer
Xooxer wrote:
Yeah, I hear Spuzzum can materialize code from mearly uttering a few inutterable words....

cout, int main, randomize!

Er, wait, wrong language. *tosses away the newly-created industry-competitive game in disgust*
In response to Xooxer
Xooxer wrote:

The day I figure out how to pronounce DblClick, obj or <<, I'm all set.

Z
In response to Zilal
The day I figure out how to pronounce DblClick, obj or <<, I'm all set.

Duh-bul klik, awbjh (er, that might've made it worse =) ), send too. That's how I pronounce those, anyway.
In response to Spuzzum
Great! Now you've taken all the mystery out of it! Before you know it we'll have DBZ headz blatherin off gamez in their sleep! I hope your happy!!!

~X
In response to Xooxer
I hope your happy!!!

I have a happy? And why are you hoping it, anyway? Should I sue...?
In response to Spuzzum
Spuzzum wrote:
I hope your happy!!!

I have a happy? And why are you hoping it, anyway? Should I sue...?

Yes..yes you should sue, I would if I was you.
In response to Nadrew
You do and I'll...uh...I'll.....

I'LL MAKE A DBZ GAME! HAHAHAHA!!!

~Evil Twisted Psychotic Xoox