ID:154389

I've always liked games that categorize what goes through to the chat window with different colours and modifiers (italics,bold,underline), and have been thinking of a reasonable colour scheme for my own project. I was thinking all direct messages ("It is your turn.") to one person should be bold so that it notifies the player that something has happened that's affected them.

It is your turn.

I was thinking that in a chat environment, names shall be underlined and messages shall be regular. This shouldn't get too annoying, as there will be a maximum of two people in a game at once :).

I can't think of a use for italics. Maybe battle messages and whatnot shall be italic?

Any suggestions on a plausible colour/modifier scheme? Let's discuss!
Any suggestions on a plausible colour/modifier scheme? Let's discuss!

Whenever something bad happens to the player, I like to colour it red. Whenever something good happens, I like to colour it green. Whenever something relatively neutral happens, I colour it blue.

I tend to like a baby blue, pink, and pale green colour scheme (people used to be able to see it in Knight's Bridge, before I took it down after realising that my memory of the game was nothing like the actual game). For some reason, that scheme seems easiest on my eyes, and it seems peaceful. Naturally, Haven doesn't have that scheme. ;-)

Not sure about italics and bolding and stuff.
I dunno, but do not use the underlining in Drummond Cribbage as an example!

Oh, and Guy, on the GS boards (socializing -> eastern US I think?) someone was asking if anyone was from Michigan's upper peninsula. And "drummed" up a few who used to live there, but alas, live there no more. It made me think of you.

Z
In response to Zilal
I dunno, but do not use the underlining in Drummond Cribbage as an example!

Doh! What would you prefer? Your wish is my command.

Oh, and Guy, on the GS boards (socializing -> eastern US I think?) someone was asking if anyone was from Michigan's upper peninsula. And "drummed" up a few who used to live there, but alas, live there no more. It made me think of you.

If all goes well, in another 30 years or so I'll be from there!
I like <font color='orange'>Orange!!!</font>
In response to Gughunter
Gughunter wrote:
Doh! What would you prefer? Your wish is my command.

One trick I use to make what people say stand out is to insert a | before what they say, making it the same color as the background but a larger font size than the rest of the text. That way what people say is magically spaced out a little from other stuff.

Z
In response to Zilal
Or, you can just use
<hr color='[bgcolor]'>

Wait... I think I read somwhere that the text area has a strange
<hr>
behaviour...
In response to Zilal
One trick I use to make what people say stand out is to insert a | before what they say, making it the same color as the background but a larger font size than the rest of the text. That way what people say is magically spaced out a little from other stuff.

Hmm, all right. I'll change the underlining.

Any reason why you can't use the HTML nbsp feature to do your spacing? The invisible character trick is clever and all, but...
In response to Lord of Water
Lord of Water wrote:
Or, you can just use
<hr color='[bgcolor]'>

Wait... I think I read somwhere that the text area has a strange <hr> behaviour...

Yes. It creates a <center>***</center> insert.
In response to Gughunter
Gughunter wrote:
Any reason why you can't use the HTML nbsp feature to do your spacing? The invisible character trick is clever and all, but...

I don't remember... either I tried it and it didn't work, or I've never tried it. Be adventurous, Guy.

Z
In response to Zilal
Zilal wrote:
Gughunter wrote:

I don't remember... either I tried it and it didn't work, or I've never tried it. Be adventurous, Guy.

I think what she means is that it provides vertical spacing between lines, rather than horizontal spacing from the left margin.
In response to Spuzzum
Spuzzum wrote:
I think what she means is that it provides vertical spacing between lines, rather than horizontal spacing from the left margin.

Yes. I wondered if Guy thought I meant horizontal spacing, then figured he didn't, because, for all I can remember, maybe increasing the size of a space on a line does provide vertical spacing. So that was the notion I went with.

Z
In response to Zilal
Zilal wrote:
Spuzzum wrote:

Yes. I wondered if Guy thought I meant horizontal spacing, then figured he didn't, because, for all I can remember, maybe increasing the size of a space on a line does provide vertical spacing. So that was the notion I went with.

Oh, yes, now that I re-read it, that interpretation makes sense too.

Darned ambiguous language! They should invent a thought digitiser/analogiser so we could transmit our exact interpretations. =P
In response to Spuzzum
I do believe that Ron Popiel is working on just such a thing...it slices potatoes into sqiggley fries too!
In response to Xooxer
Xooxer wrote:
I do believe that Ron Popiel is working on just such a thing...it slices potatoes into sqiggley fries too!

Very likely the first Ron Popiel reference on the BYOND forums. I actually sat through one of his infomercials the other day. Some sort of rotisserie thing, which did make me hungry, though not enough to buy one.

flick()