ID:154392

Let's hear 'em!
I want to know what you think would be some interesting approaches to making the game evolve. One idea I had was for the enemies to be able to evolve by consuming other enemies or players, thus gaining some of their abilities and traits.

Of course this topic isn't limited to just game concepts, actual programming methods are also in season! I have been working on LIFE, a program that demonstrates cellular automata, or artifitial life. You basicly populate the grid with living cells and watch them evolve according to two simple rules:

1. If the cell has 2 or 3 neighbors in the first generation, then it will be alive in the next generation, reguardless of it's current state.

2. If it has more than three, or less than two, then it dies.

The program is complete, but now I just need to work the bugs out... expect it soon! :-)

~Evolutionary Xoox
Hmm.. in game evolution..

Im not sure how Id go about using mobs to that effect, but as for the evolution of a game -world-, Ive had a few thoughts of my own.

First off, start the world off in a free, open state. No cities, no towns, no nothing. Include it into the code that the -players- can build things. Some restrictions of course will have to be in place so that the game doesnt eat system resources like my little brother eats potato chips, but you get the idea ^^

*thinks*

Grrr, I had a lot of ideas on this subject, but now I cant think of any of them *LOL*

On another subject though, I recently (last month sometime) read a news article on evolution based software -design-. There were some really instresting results coming outa it. I thought it was neat at least.

Elorien
In response to Elorien
I have a cool evolution system that I built for fun... there is a "ecosystem" that I can cause to undergo great changes. Most of the animals dye, but some live. The ones that live evolve, and some things are changed:

- Properties, like resistance to elements and ability to hunt certian other types of animals.
- Overlays. There are lots of overlays, that change as the properties of an animal change.

It's not that advanced, and there are always times when I make some change to the enviorment and all of the animals die, but it's fun.

See you!
In response to Lord of Water
Sounds great! I have done some exstensive reaserch in the field of Artifitial Life and Cellular Automata, which has generated some great ideas for games...

One of which is simply far too complex to implement on BYOND. The game will basically create itself and evolve with the player and certain random events, so it will never play the same way twice... Also, the enemy gets more intelligent, complex and harder to kill with time, and could possibly overpower the player cuasing the game to last forever...

It takes place throughout the entire universe, so having the program generate the various planets, races, species, planetary and solar sytems as well as creatures and plant life is really the only way to go...

Maybe someday I'll create it, but I'm nowhere near the level such a task would require!
In response to Xooxer

It takes place throughout the entire universe, so having the program generate the various planets, races, species, planetary and solar sytems as well as creatures and plant life is really the only way to go...

Maybe someday I'll create it, but I'm nowhere near the level such a task would require!

I don't think computers are, either :oP
In response to Foomer
It would be difficult, but not impossible...
In response to Xooxer
Xooxer wrote:
It would be difficult, but not impossible...

You have a really good attitude towards this and I believe you will be successful in game making.