ID:154403

I think it would be very helpful in dream maker dmi files, if copied picture files that are pasted into the dmi slides were stretched to fit the image box. Like most graphic software does.

If this is too hard then never mind, but i believe this would boost the grade of the graphics.

The Honorable

SonVegitto
SonVegitto wrote:
I think it would be very helpful in dream maker dmi files, if copied picture files that are pasted into the dmi slides were stretched to fit the image box. Like most graphic software does.

If this is too hard then never mind, but i believe this would boost the grade of the graphics.

Depends. Foomer can make some pretty darned good graphics in a 32x32 square then import it into BYOND.

What you are asking for is a very difficult statement: do you or do you not want it to anti-alias the shrinked icons?
- If you are for anti-aliasing, then it will have white fuzz around the edges of the icon as it is anti-aliased with the background colour.
- If you are against anti-aliasing, then the icons will look chunky and hideous.

The Honorable

SonVegitto

Don't want to rain on your parade, but are you involved in the legal system? 'Honourable' is a judge's title.
In response to Spuzzum
I believe i am honorable in my society and my effort to help :-D.

But the stretched images could be helpful for some. I make ok graphics. but hey, people have their opinions.
In response to Spuzzum

What you are asking for is a very difficult statement: do you or do you not want it to anti-alias the shrinked icons?
- If you are for anti-aliasing, then it will have white fuzz around the edges of the icon as it is anti-aliased with the background colour.
- If you are against anti-aliasing, then the icons will look chunky and hideous.

I'm disappointed that someone hasn't invented a nifty anti-aliasing setup that ignores transparent pixels, and only fuzzes together the colored ones...Then you get a smooth graphic wiithout the white fuz!
In response to Spuzzum
Don't want to rain on your parade, but are you involved in the legal system? 'Honourable' is a judge's title.

hmm....presenting the honourable judge Geo...yeah I kinda like the sound of that....oops, must of been one of those "typing your thoughts" stuff happeneing now. anyways how did judges eventually became called "Honourable". That doesnt make much sense to me, I wanna be called Honourable! no wait, instead I'd rather somehow be knighted and called "Sir" Geo....hmm Sir Geo.....I kinda like the sound to that...... hmm.......Overlord Geo.....hmm, nah....... Lord Geo....yeah, yeah thats good.....Father Geo.....nahh, guess I wont work at a church.... yeah, I like the sound of Sir Geo....
In response to Geo
Geo wrote:

hmm....presenting the honourable judge Geo...yeah I kinda like the sound of that....oops, must of been one of those "typing your thoughts" stuff happeneing now. anyways how did judges eventually became called "Honourable". That doesnt make much sense to me, I wanna be called Honourable! no wait, instead I'd rather somehow be knighted and called "Sir" Geo....hmm Sir Geo.....I kinda like the sound to that...... hmm.......Overlord Geo.....hmm, nah....... Lord Geo....yeah, yeah thats good.....Father Geo.....nahh, guess I wont work at a church.... yeah, I like the sound of Sir Geo....

I prefer to be called "sweet". Booyah! ;-)
In response to Foomer
Foomer wrote:
I'm disappointed that someone hasn't invented a nifty anti-aliasing setup that ignores transparent pixels, and only fuzzes together the colored ones...Then you get a smooth graphic wiithout the white fuz!

Most quality graphics software like PSP will allow you to change the background color so you can decide beforehand what color "fuz" you want around the image.

You could always draw your picture, then make the background color close to the dominant border color before resizing it.

For example, if you want a red capital letter A for your game with fancy highlights inside it: Draw your letter with all the fancy modifications, then chane you background color to 254,0,0 (assuming you used 255,0,0 for your letter). Then shrink it and change the background to something that lets you see the image clearly if you look at it later on. (I usually go ahead and use 192,192,192, the BYOND mask color, if it's for a dmi.)

The only problem with that method is that you can't blend it with multiple border colors. I supose you could fill in all the border areas with colors that match the border pixels, so when you shrink it the colors remain solid, then trim out your padding pixels manually. Sounds like a headache and it's probably ugly too :P
SonVegitto wrote:

Any time you stretch or shrink an image, you degrade the quality.

Not saying a stretch-to-fit option would be a bad idea. But I like the present behavior, since I like my small images to stay small when I paste 'em.
In response to Shadowdarke
Shadowdarke wrote:
Foomer wrote:

Most quality graphics software like PSP will allow you to change the background color so you can decide beforehand what color "fuz" you want around the image.

Not only that, but if your background is transparent when you apply anti-aliasing, you get semi-transparent pixels on the borders. Then you could save the image as a transparent gif or something. The gif format only supports one level of transparency, so a decent graphic editor will then let you choose what percentage of transparency means fully transparent and what percentage means fully opaque. Then add the background color underneath and voila! No fuzzy edges, but anti-aliasing goodness in the middle.

On this general thread topic: I've said it before and I'll say it again. The icon editor in Dream Maker has more than enough functionality as it is. If you want more fancy capability, do it in a real graphic editor (PSP, Photoshop, GIMP, whatever), make your icon exactly how you want it (including anti-aliasing, cropping and sizing to 32x32) and then import it into DM. I doubt if Tom wants to spend a lot of time futzing with extra bells and whistles that a real graphic editor will do better anyway.
In response to Spuzzum
Yay for spuzzum!
In response to Geo
Geo wrote:

yeah, I like the sound of Sir Geo....

Leviathan Geo? Meaning 'Emperor Geo'?
In response to Spuzzum
I prefer to be called "sweet". Booyah! ;-)

Nay, sweet Spuzzum, but hold and say naught, for though the dawn approaches, with burning candles in her auburn hair, it will find neither you nor I beneath the boughs of yon forest's trees, for time is but a mote in the taxidermist's eyes, and I am out of taco filling.
In response to SonVegitto
SonVegitto wrote:
I believe i am honorable in my society and my effort to help :-D.

There are two types of honor a person can have: one is the type given by others (as in acclaim and recognition), and the other is the sort of honor one acquires and maintains inwardly. Obviously, you cannot proclaim yourself to have the first kind, and as for the second kind, if you did have, then you wouldn't proclaim it.
In response to LexyBitch
Nay, sweet Spuzzum, but hold and say naught, for though the dawn approaches, with burning candles in her auburn hair, it will find neither you nor I beneath the boughs of yon forest's trees, for time is but a mote in the taxidermist's eyes, and I am out of taco filling.

Well, you got the hair colour right, you soothsayer, you.
In response to Spuzzum
Geez...talk about going off on a tangent....where am I anywayz???
In response to Xooxer
Xooxer wrote:
Geez...talk about going off on a tangent....where am I anywayz???

I dunno. Never seen you in this neck of the woods before.
In response to Spuzzum
Wait...here's a map!...oh...it's only a snotty rag....
In response to LexyBitch
As they Lao Tzu said... "Those who tell do not know, and those that know do not tell..."
In response to Xooxer
Xooxer wrote:
Wait...here's a map!...oh...it's only a snotty rag....

A snotty rag?

Anyway, I went off on that tangent because that was the day that I was gloating about the girl I have a crush on, who more or less seems as though she also shares the feelings... at least a little. =)
In response to Spuzzum
I prefer being called "Overlord" or "Insasne"!

The insane overlord-
-Geo
Page: 1 2