ID:154410

In my game, Super Hero Bash, I was wondering how you would like to create your Super Hero.

Please Vote:

(1)- Have a randomized super hero and super powers/weaknesses given to you

(2)- Choose how your character looks like and get random powers/weakness

(3)- Choose Everything for your character

Total customization! allow players to choose gender, skin color, hair color, hair style, clothing color, clothing style, stats, powers, and weaknesses. The powers and weaknesses should have different point costs in the interest of balance. (This is starting to sound like Fae Domains...)
Sariat wrote:
In my game, Super Hero Bash, I was wondering how you would like to create your Super Hero.

Please Vote:

(1)- Have a randomized super hero and super powers/weaknesses given to you

(2)- Choose how your character looks like and get random powers/weakness

I'd suggest being able to choose most things, but throwing a few random elements into the mix. For added fun, make it so that the random powers or weaknesses don't actually get displayed with the ones you chose, so that players have to experiment to discover secret powers or vulnerabilities.
In response to Shadowdarke
i disagree, i like randomizing. It makes it feel a little more like real super heroes. They didn't choose there powers did they? do you choose your skin color? did you choose your gender? no(i don't think so any way). So why should you on 'real-life' games. Now on a Role playing game i can see it both ways. But if you're going to the 'real' thing, and not the 'god' thing, go with total randomization.
I agree with both ideas that leftey and shadowdarke made and i think either way would be good
In response to Nebathemonk
Nebathemonk wrote:
i disagree, i like randomizing. It makes it feel a little more like real super heroes. They didn't choose there powers did they? do you choose your skin color? did you choose your gender? no(i don't think so any way). So why should you on 'real-life' games. Now on a Role playing game i can see it both ways. But if you're going to the 'real' thing, and not the 'god' thing, go with total randomization.

You're right. I've yet to hear a of a superhero in real life who chose all their characteristics.
In response to Nebathemonk
Nebathemonk wrote:
i disagree, i like randomizing. It makes it feel a little more like real super heroes. They didn't choose there powers did they? do you choose your skin color? did you choose your gender? no(i don't think so any way).

Among my species, we carefully design the genetic structure of the meat form we will inhabit in our next incarnation. Ok... maybe not... but in a completely random system you will end up with people who keep deleting and remaking characters until they get the traits they like.

When you play AD&D, do you roll 3d6 and place the attributes in the order you roll them? I do sometimes but it is very rare to find someone else willing to do that. (I never managed to roll a paladin that way.) In computer games where all you have to do is spend a minute rerunning the program, hardly anyone will stick with a character that doesn't meet their criteria.

So why should you on 'real-life' games. Now on a Role playing game i can see it both ways. But if you're going to the 'real' thing, and not the 'god' thing, go with total randomization.

Peter Parker had no idea what he could do, but Stan Lee sure as hell knew what Spiderman was capable of. The super heroes people read comics about are designed to be interesting. Randomly hacking together powers won't preserve a super hero flavor.

I like surprises too, but randomizing powers from a list makes for very mismatched characters. You'd end up with characters that have super enhanced hearing and are deaf, for instance. I doubt many here remember old games like the early versions of Gamma World, where mutants rolled randomly for powers. Mutants were fun, but there was no theme to them. Super heroes usually have a theme that brings their powers together in some meaningful way.

If powers are random they should be themed somehow, selecting a theme and then choosing several powers within that theme. For instance, a character in the theme of "other species blend: spider" could get a variety of powers like wallcrawling, webbing, multiple appendages, paralytic poison, spider form, half-spider form, control spiders, summon spiders, enhanced smell, enhanced agilty, or enhanced strength. Weaknesses might include insecticide, rolled up newspapers, or inabaility to consume solid food (spiders drink the blood of their prey). You could have dozens of spider heroes, but no two would have the same blend of powers.

If this is too complex, Leftley's ideas to have a few unknown random elements on a custom designed character would be much better than completely random.
The powers and weaknesses should have different point costs in the interest of balance.

This sounds like a good way to go. Now I need to think of a superhero...
Sariat wrote:

I like freedom, so I go for number 3.

/Andreas
Everything.
In response to Gazoot
Gazoot wrote:
Sariat wrote:

I like freedom, so I go for number 3.

/Andreas

Whoa Andreas long time no see!
The way I like my systems is that everything is completely randomised at first, and then after that the player can either reroll the results or manually go in and fine tune them according to how many 'character points' they have left.

Thus, if you wanted to jump into the thick of things, you could get a fully-functioning character in the span of several seconds, who would be complete with tons of nuances that were already chosen for you. But if you wanted to put effort into making your character, you could easily create one from scratch or fine tune a random one to your liking.
I wouldn't mind having the option to have looks/powers randomly chosen, along with the option to choose them myself.

Z
In response to Zilal
Zilal wrote:
I wouldn't mind having the option to have looks/powers randomly chosen, along with the option to choose them myself.

Z

Yeah. Maybe have a choice between random and choice. If you pick random, your powers will be stronger (as in higher skilled), but you can't choose them. If you choose to choose your powers, they're weaker.

I'd like that.
In response to Vortezz
Vortezz wrote:
Yeah. Maybe have a choice between random and choice. If you pick random, your powers will be stronger (as in higher skilled), but you can't choose them. If you choose to choose your powers, they're weaker.

I'd like that.

I hadn't thought about that. Though maybe if it was like that, you'd want a delay before you could roll up another character from that IP, to keep people from constantly rolling "strong" characters until they get a random one that's just what they want.

The appeal to randomness for me was just that... random is neat.

Z
I'm a control freak. I want to customize my super hero.