In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
Liushinkyu wrote:
how come u always gotta pound peoples dreams into the ground?

Because his dream is just like 50 other people's dream and adding another DBZ game to the byond community would be just like adding another deadly virus to the world.Its just not needed.

<font color=white> yeh nadrew, u are right there is too many DB/DBZ/DBGT games on BYOND now it really makes me mad, it shouldnt be called BYOND, with all he DBZ games it should be called DBBYOND(Dragon-Ball-Byond) this anoys me i say we do not help any of the peeps that wanna make DBZ games... i know it is an cool show in all but come on go make one somewheere else !! i meen geez !

wow... i never wrote that much not even in school.... :p
In response to Air Mapster
I find that there is alott of prejudice to the amount of dbz games for this system, i believe the more the better in a sense, scince the plott of this anime seems to be the best to make a game of, if not original, and remember this, designing your own plott to create can be very simple for some, as it may be near impossible for others, same as writing a book, or story.
I believe with this sense that if the game is good, DBZ or Not, it shouldn't be dissed as one of the bad ideas, because I myself have not seen any better plot of an show or movie.
But I also discurage some new DBZ games, thus this is what i have put together as what is acceptable.

1.) If it is a freash creation, not a copy of GT Genesis like some of the new ones are.

2.) That the coder keeps with it, alott of these games i've seen have been started, but have not been carried on with.

3.) Origonal Icons. This will make your game more playable, even if they arent great, they are still origonal in a sense.

And Finally.) If you advertise, please dont make a banner like DBZ Elite's, having a motto that says you are better then another game is truely wrong.

And to end on...

This is my opinion, you may agree, you may not, but please, dont judge a book by its cover, give it a quick scan before you make your opinion.

<big>Scincerely</big>

SonVegitto
In response to SonVegitto
1.) If it is a freash creation, not a copy of GT Genesis like some of the new ones are.

This is the main reason everyone dislikes (to put it mildly) Dragon Ball games around here. Even if they're not copies of GT Genesis, they're still copies of the cartoon series. Most people see that as not a "fresh creation" (or even "freash").

-AbyssDragon
SonVegitto wrote:
I find that there is alott of prejudice to the amount of dbz games for this system

that's mainly because most are of low quality and most of the creators "beg" for bits of coding scraps

i believe the more the better in a sense

hmm, 4000 SonVegittos wouldnt sound like it's better.... well maybe 2 identical Geos would be good, the world could always use another one of me!
<insert random Elminster comment here>

I believe with this sense that if the game is good, DBZ or Not, it shouldn't be dissed as one of the bad ideas, because I myself have not seen any better plot of an show or movie.

yes, it's all nice until the original makers find you and ask you close it. I know people say "Hey, were not making any money off of it!" but still, copyright stuff blah blah. Anyways, would it be considered fair if you had a brilliant idea, made it work, than bunches of others "take" your idea and make something off of it and often change it and call it "their" work?

hmm, that kind of sounds ironic, create a fresh creation which is a copy of the original creation...hmmm.....

3.) Origonal Icons. This will make your game more playable, even if they arent great, they are still origonal in a sense.

It's kind of hard making something "original" when doing something "unoriginal". If you make a random namek, people will confuse it for looking like it's piccolo unless you make it deformed.

And Finally.) If you advertise, please dont make a banner like DBZ Elite's, having a motto that says you are better then another game is truely wrong.

Commercials do it. Really, what is wrong with it? Everyone has oppinions and they state that they think they are better than other DBZ stuff.

This is my opinion, you may agree, you may not, but please, dont judge a book by its cover, give it a quick scan before you make your opinion.

Yes, but whatever happened to making a good first impression?
SonVegitto wrote:

Gee, it's okay for your game to exist, but not everyone else's! Oh no! You're better than them.

2.) That the coder keeps with it, alott of these games i've seen have been started, but have not been carried on with.

Uhh.. from what I read, your "Dragonball GT: Genesis" game is now coded by SSJ Radditz, or something?

Like Geo said, you can't really have something original if it's copying it with no credit, or permission.

Strange.. I can recall earlier that you said that you had the best game of them all...

I'd rather not. I have better things to do than punch a "pbag" over and over.

<big>Scincerely</big>

That's "sincerely".
I admit it: some people can't come up with original ideas. There's nothing wrong with these people. Everyone's good at different things, to different degrees.

You know what? I can't drive a car. I lack the inclination and the aptitude (mainly, the focus) that a lot of people have that lets them get behind the wheel of a car and navigate it from point A to point B without endangering the lives, limbs, and property of all the people in between.

Would you say, Son Vegitto, that it would be wise for me to get behind the wheel of a car, just because I want to, and take off? Would you excuse any accidents (or fatalities) I cause by saying, "Hey, some people aren't as good at driving as others?" You might say it, but the judge wouldn't. The judge would say, "Lexy never should've been driving in the first place, until she gains the aptitude necessary to handle it." And if I never gain the aptitude? Then I should never drive.

Same thing with original ideas. If you can't think up an original idea/story for a game.... DON'T MAKE A GAME. It's that simple.

As far as DBZ having a "great story," and therefore being a good thing to copy... well, I don't like DBZ, so anything I say about it you'll blow off as DBZ dissing. So let's talk about something I love: Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I have a videotape of Buffy the Vampire Slayer from earlier in this evening. I love Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It's funny, it's smart, it's blah blah blah blah blah, it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I want to make my own TV show, just like Buffy the Vampire Slayer... so I'll take the characters from it, and some of the story, and add my own unique, interesting interpretations. What a great tribute to Buffy, huh? WRONG.

Joss Whedon and all the wonderfully talented people who make Buffy what it is have worked their f***ing asses of to get where they are today. They've put their hearts and souls and lives and career and finances into making something GREAT. Now, here I come, some little fangirl who never worked a day in my life... and I spend a few hours on the weekend with a script I cobbled together, that probably takes liberties with the characters and concepts that would have Joss screaming if he knew how badly his creations were being twisted away from his creative vision... and I expect to receive recognition for doing something great?

In short, if DBZ is a "great story," and you make a game that uses that great story... you have accomplished NOTHING. The story was already there. You contributed nothing... in fact, you stole someone else's thunder. It's like someone builds a 200 story building, you come along and build a tiny shack on top of it and say, "Look at me, I've built a 201 story building!" If you want credit, start at the ground floor like everyone else.

As terrible, stupid, contrived, pointless, and nonsensical as DBZ is... you make it worse with your stupid little fan games. Yes, your game is stupid. All fan games are stupid. I don't care if they're DBZ, or Highlander, or Buffy, or Scooby Doo. At best, you're trying to stand on the shoulders of giants, and worst, you're trashing someone else's dreams. Get your own dreams!
In response to LexyBitch
As terrible, stupid, contrived, pointless, and nonsensical as DBZ is... you make it worse with your stupid little fan games. Yes, your game is stupid. All fan games are stupid. I don't care if they're DBZ, or Highlander, or Buffy, or Scooby Doo. At best, you're trying to stand on the shoulders of giants, and worst, you're trashing someone else's dreams. Get your own dreams!

Yes. However, folks, please note the subtle distinction between "fan games" that are created as tribute from a particular item, and "fan games" that are created based from a particular item.

SpaceTug, for example, may be considered an Alien fan game. However, nowhere in the game do you find the word "Ripley", or the word "Alien". Guy even messed around with the names to make it a practical spoof, as well as drew all of his own icons. By that definition, it is based from Alien -- it is not a direct tribute to alien, but it seems familiar.

(Actually, after playing that game, can we have a show of hands of how many people decided to revisit the video store for the Alien series? *raises his hand* Anyway, in my opinion, that particular game is actually better for business for 21st Century Fox / NewsCorp / Fox Interactive...)
In response to Spuzzum
Absolutely! For instance, I have a VERY Buffiesque GURPS campaign setting that I occassionally dream about packaging up as MUD. It's all about archetype. Think about Alien->SpaceTug. Distill Alien down to its elemental components, see what makes it great: Suspense. Hunter vs. Hunted. Monster movie set in a space environment. And so on. Take that elemental formula, and add something to it. Internet teamplay, for instance.

Or my GURPS campaign. Take the themes from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. You have: mundane world and paranormal world existing side-by-side. Shadowy, low-power superheroics. Genre-bending. Youth issues. I took those ideas, drew from my own experiences with the shadowier side of things, my vast (and vastly generalized) knowledge of folklore, mythology, and mysticism, and added my experiences growing up in a small midwestern town, and ended up with something I think is wonderful.

If you like DBZ, and want to make a tribute to it... take some of the themes from it and put your own spin on them. No, this doesn't mean writing a game that "Explores what would happen if Gohan had died and Goku was a robot." (Note: for all I know, Gohan is dead and Goku is a robot.) Or using DBZ characters but adding a new fighting style. It means making something that shows what you have learned from DBZ. If DBZ has a great story, then there's no way you can watch the story unfold and not learn something about the art of story-telling.
In response to LexyBitch
The rather intense comparison to dangerous non-licensed driving aside, your post quite aptly describes the pitfalls of lemminghood. It's probably a little too long to hold the attention of most dbzers, but at least I liked it.

Along the lines of your love of Buffy, I am a huge, huge fan of The Prisoner, a television show from '67-68. I have long dreamed of having a game based on the show, and as tempted as I am to do something here, it's just not going to happen.

Just babbling.

In response to Skysaw
Did you know there's a movie in the works?
In response to LexyBitch
LexyBitch wrote:

Don't get me too excited... A rumor to this effect has cropped up every two years or so for the past 15 years.

Do you have new information? If Patrick McGoohan isn't involved in the production and writing, it will probably be crap.
In response to LexyBitch
LexyBitch wrote:

Ah, ok, you got me curious enough to poke around. It seems Universal is saying some time in 2003 to release it. Executive produced by McGoohan, so it should be worth the wait.

Thanks for the tip!
In response to Skysaw
No problem. :) Did you know there's also an official Prisoner roleplaying game?
In response to LexyBitch
LexyBitch wrote:
No problem. :) Did you know there's also an official Prisoner roleplaying game?

Do you mean the GURPS book? I've got that one.
In response to Skysaw
Yeah, that one. I've never had a chance to examine it, personally, but I've heard interesting things about it.
In response to LexyBitch
I know what you are saying and i believe you may have mis-understood what i was stating.

What I was saying "In short" is that there are alott of people that complain and disrespect people whome use the dbz storyline to make a game out of, due to the large amount of dbz games recently. While on this same note, these people too make games based upon pre-created and used storylined from different popular shows.

I was not stating that if you have no talent im programming byond, that you should just go ahead and make one anyway ""Which i thought i made clear in my 3 necessities", i was saying that if you wish to make a good game, and sport the ability, then go for it.

Also, just because you cant make an origonal plot, that you shouldnt make a game, and i stated that if you wish to that you shouldnt copy one game in existance to make another with, But i believe it is ok to use the basic idea of it while you design it to fit your needs, as you can see, no one has perfectly followed a storyline or the exact plott of the series, it is edited to fit a game based on it, I know that many people name it dbz and use people, attacks, places, etc... but it isnt exactly copying.

I myself am not encouraging, but on the same note, I am not disrespecting the people that try, because in all, it is just a game, and many people still play it, satisfied, and to me, a game that makes the players happy, meets the expectations.

Not A Very Great Writer

SonVegitto
It's the stealing the names that gets to me mostly. I'd be much happier to see everyone rename their DBZ: Pbag Killer's Elite, with Goku, Gohan, Vegeta, and the whole Saiyan race who run around beating on more and more difficult pbags or whatever, into something like: NirvanaRift: The Elite, with AnDerin, Esulias, Tiar, Lyanden and the whole Atonic race who run around slaying the cursed hordes of Muradkhan. All the while draining the power from each of these hordlings to increase their own 'inner strength'...

It's mostly the unoriginallity of the whole darn endless hordes of DBZ games, Goku's, and repetetive races that gets to me...
Of course not being able to come up with a plot should not preclude anyone from making their game. But building a game around a plot (or even theme, I suppose) rather than a gameplay idea is a bit like writing a book to have good player-versus-player balance.

The idea here is that if you sit down to make a game about "having DBZ stuff" or "having [insert popular fan franchise here] stuff", your odds of actually producing a really good game are about 0 in 10.
In response to Leftley
The idea here is that if you sit down to make a game about "having DBZ stuff" or "having [insert popular fan franchise here] stuff", your odds of actually producing a really good game are about 0 in 10.

That high?
In response to Skysaw
Skysaw wrote:
Do you have new information? If Patrick McGoohan isn't involved in the production and writing, it will probably be crap.

There's a Prisoner character in L&D (and was in the classic) and may be a Prisoner-inspired weapon. So I'm campaigning to get Guy to watch the series...I think he's about to crack!

Anyway, unfortunately these days McGoohan's involvement doesn't guarantee non-crap. He directed and starred in his 4th Columbo a while back, and it was a total absolute piece of crap, including his directing and acting.
Page: 1 2 3