ID:154417

Well I've got some idea of how to do this but my algorithms usually end up generating very blocky and unrealistic looking contenents and islands. So I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas for algorithms to do this or have links to pages with this sorta information?
Theodis wrote:
Well I've got some idea of how to do this but my algorithms usually end up generating very blocky and unrealistic looking contenents and islands. So I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas for algorithms to do this or have links to pages with this sorta information?

Search the web for information on how ray-tracers generate textures. a marble texture with turbulence (noise) would work good for mountain ranges. Fractals might work good too.

Try PovRay at www.povray.org (Freeware forever!) or fractint.
Theodis wrote:

Actually, any algorithm you come up with will usually look all right if you do a lot of averaging and smoothing.