ID:154426

When someone dies, a priest (or whoever's handy) performs certain rites and rituals to ensure that the spirit can rest peacefully, move on, etc., rather than hanging around the material plane, haunting places, embarassing itself and its family and so on. I have three different skills representing this. If the rites are administered while the person is still alive (but dying), this is Last Rites (the easiest skill and most efficacious method). If performed afterword, it's Funerary Rites (slightly more difficult, slightly less effective. I'm looking for a general term for the version of these rites performed after the person has not only died, but after their disembodied spirit (or disenspirited body) has started kicking up trouble... not an exorcism or banishment, which is the forcible removal of a malignant spirit, but rather a necessary rite to allow a tortured soul that would rather not be rampaging anyway to find peace.

Right now, my working name is Appeasement Rites, which I don't really like. Any ideas?
LexyBitch wrote:
When someone dies, a priest (or whoever's handy) performs certain rites and rituals to ensure that the spirit can rest peacefully, move on, etc., rather than hanging around the material plane, haunting places, embarassing itself and its family and so on. I have three different skills representing this. If the rites are administered while the person is still alive (but dying), this is Last Rites (the easiest skill and most efficacious method). If performed afterword, it's Funerary Rites (slightly more difficult, slightly less effective. I'm looking for a general term for the version of these rites performed after the person has not only died, but after their disembodied spirit (or disenspirited body) has started kicking up trouble... not an exorcism or banishment, which is the forcible removal of a malignant spirit, but rather a necessary rite to allow a tortured soul that would rather not be rampaging anyway to find peace.

Right now, my working name is Appeasement Rites, which I don't really like. Any ideas?

I think it'd be best to drop the "app" and go with Easement Rites. It's similar but implies comforting more than giving in to a tantrum-throwing brat (or Nazi megalomaniac).

Lummox JR
LexyBitch wrote:

How about Seance? It means speak with the dead, so it might not apply, since you might have Seances in mind as another ability.

I'll need to go over this in my head for a bit. =)

(Assisted Suispiriticide...? =P)
In response to Lummox JR
How about Appeasment rights?
In response to Lord of Water
Lord of Water wrote:
How about Appeasment rights?

I'm not sure if that's a joke or not, but that's what Lexy's trying to avoid in the first place. =)
In response to Spuzzum
Oh, :(

It was the word that jumped to my head. Well, lets see... how about Last Rites?
Did you even read my post???
In response to Spuzzum
I'm looking for something a little more priestly... the Church would avoid that, due to the connotations of necromancy.

To clarify what I'm going for here: the priests in my game aren't miracle-workers, with the ability to heal by touch or walk on water. They're priests, after all, not messiahs... so I'm giving them powers that are entirely spiritual and political. Due to the nature of the game, these are very important abilities.
In response to Lummox JR
That's exactly why I want to avoid the word appeasement... not so much the WWII connotations, as I am opposed to the idea that a restless spirit has chosen to be restless and can be convinced to knock it off. Hmmm. Maybe "Parting Rites?"

When I hear "easement rites," I think of a railroad being given use of land.
In response to LexyBitch
LexyBitch wrote:
I'm looking for something a little more priestly... the Church would avoid that, due to the connotations of necromancy.

Will look for one, then.

To clarify what I'm going for here: the priests in my game aren't miracle-workers, with the ability to heal by touch or walk on water. They're priests, after all, not messiahs... so I'm giving them powers that are entirely spiritual and political. Due to the nature of the game, these are very important abilities.

I understood that part already. I have a good memory when I want to use it. =)
In response to LexyBitch
LexyBitch wrote:
That's exactly why I want to avoid the word appeasement... not so much the WWII connotations, as I am opposed to the idea that a restless spirit has chosen to be restless and can be convinced to knock it off. Hmmm. Maybe "Parting Rites?"

Aha! "Passing Rites"?
In response to Spuzzum
Rites of Weigh?

Hmm.. perhaps you can break with the "Rites" convention and have a "Pacify Spirit/Soul". Or "Tranquilize Spirit". I admit its not great, but it doesn't look like you have many good options here.

I myself suck at spell names. I have this problem constantly.

-AbyssDragon
In response to AbyssDragon
I'm not looking for spells. These are priests as in priests, not priests as in "the other kind of wizard."
Ha! That wouldn't work for this, but I'll remember it, nonetheless.
LexyBitch wrote:
not an exorcism or banishment, which is the forcible removal of a malignant spirit, but rather a necessary rite to allow a tortured soul that would rather not be rampaging anyway to find peace.

deliverance, reprieve, respite, liberation, redemption, salvation. release, pardon, give absolution, placate

I beleive that 'final absolutions' is a technical term for priests, but something like liberation would be more suited for a trapped spirit.

Your game sounds so facinating.
In response to Spuzzum
Aha! "Passing Rites"?

Or better yet... "Rites of Passage."
In response to Gughunter
Gughunter wrote:
Aha! "Passing Rites"?

Or better yet... "Rites of Passage."

Rite of passage:
After a cub undergoes his First Change and becomes aware that he is Garou, he must undergo his Rite of Passage. Garou are not accorded adulthood or respect until they pass this seminal rite;they are mere cubs until that time. This rite is a dangerous quest meant to prove that Garou's courage, honor and wisdom through harsh trials.

No idea why I posted this, just rang a bell from my WW: Apocalypse rping

Alathon
In response to Alathon
Grrrr... White Wolf bad.
In response to LexyBitch
Ah, I wasn't sure if this was a word or not, but Google says it is! So how about: Rites of Requiescence?

...which means "rest".

"RIP" == "Requiescat in pace" ("May he rest in peace").
Page: 1 2