ID:154430

In my next game I'm going to have a world map which will wrap horozontally and I was just wondering if anyone else had any ideas on how to handle this. Anywho here's my current ideas.

Running into the End of the World:
This idea is the easiest to implement but not the prettiest way of handling it. It's just simply if the player runs into the edge of the world he's just transported to the other side.

Extending the last tile:
This idea is where the game on load up extends the last tile(world.maxx - world.view) over to the end of the world. When the player hits world.maxx - world.view they are teleported to the other side. This is slightly harder to do but it gets rid of the "end of world" problem. Of course this gets wierd with players just poping up in front of you and you couldn't see em comming. Also the edge of the world looks kinda wierd with the stretched out end.

Mirroring the edges:
This is like the previous idea only in the world initialization the left edge is copied from the right edge and vice versa to make it look like your not warping. But this still has the problem with player popup. This is only a bit more complicated in the world initialization but doable.

Mirroring the edges and possible relocatable objects/mobs:
Like the previous idea only you mirror object/mob movements at the edges also. This is the most complicated method and probably isn't worth all the effort for the simple visual enhancement but could probably get done through a lot of persistence.

Anyway if anyone has any better ideas for world wraping that would look good without too much programming effort(or you just wanna brag about how cool your method is which you spent forever working on) please reply :).
If you do away with the standard verb system (and thus do away with the right-clicking to get the pop-up menus), you could have a region of "overlap", 1-screen wide, that's repeated on both ends of the map. Any time an object enters that region, a "surrogate" object with the same visual properties and density, would be created in the corresponding overlapped area on the opposite side. Any clicks (or internal interactions) that affect the surrogate would be routed to the actual object, as would any changes in position/appearance/status be routed from the actual to the surrogate.
In response to LexyBitch
hmmm... that actually doesnt sound like that bad an idea ^^ Only slightly difficult to implement too..

Course, it all comes down to how your setting up your maps though ^^

Hmmm... actually.. this need not only apply to 'world maps'...

Didnt I see a post around here a few weeks ago that came up with something simmilar? Or at least asking how to make a map that parts of were loaded dynamicaly?

This would be a start I think. If the system picked up on the transfer fast enough, then you could concievably have the user wandering around on seperate maps, but not even notice it.. In thier minds it would be one big map...

Wow.. thanks for the idea ^-^ Ill try to stick something along those lines into my beta engine... itd make my game a lot more smooth ^^

Elorien
In response to Elorien
What is this engine of yours, Elorien?
In response to Lord of Water
well... Ive worked out a dev cycle for my game Im working on, first thing that goes in is the engine. Basicaly what it is is a graphic system, a battle system, and a construction system with a few basic outlines of items and verbs, thats what Im working on now.

Then -after- thats done, and the engine itself is stable, thats when I start working on the real basis of the game, the maps, the items, mobs, etc etc etc... A lot of people here seem to be doing it the opposite way, but this meathod seems to work for me ^^;

WHEE XD chances are Im getting my new puter tonight *_* its gonna be sweet *swoons*

Elorien