In response to Lummox JR
Oh, it's certainly possible -- just not in the same way.

You see, the way U7 works, anything you see on your screen is loaded directly from the files. With BYOND, anything you see on your screen is loaded directly from memory.

Indeed, it's one of the driving considerations I'm debating for Haven -- whether to have my world dynamically loaded and saved, or whether to have it simply permanent run-time.

Since I'm planning on adding run-time creation tools, I might go for the latter. I also have been implementing a rather powerful construction system into the game -- people make outlines on the ground for their structures, and then they can build it themselves or hire NPCs to construct it for them, or both. This eliminates another need for money, since they gather materials rather than monies. Money is decidedly rare, and NPCs tend to prefer the barter system anyway, since money is so easy to lose.

I've oriented the system towards materials and barter goods rather than capital... I hope it'll work well.
In response to FIREking
One big problem with BSP is that most BSP algorithms aren't suited to dynamic space. BYOND allows you to change turfs around, which really mucks with BSP.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
ah yes, i didnt think of that
plus the whole thought of .txl files (texture libraries)
makes me wanna puke

forget it, its an impossible idea, i was just thinking towards the "effects" side of things, and the ability to have more support for faster maps
In response to Spuzzum
Damn you, Spuzzum, and your evil Canadian dream-gnomes... they always steal my best ideas.
In response to LexyBitch
All the same, I came up with that idea on my own. ;-P
Page: 1 2