ID:1545025

man these past 10 years, yall have gone downhill on a incline of vertical. you all have truly killed this site. all yall want is money now. wheres the people that programmed for fun, and because of the love for it, NOT greed. now you guys just want money. its almost pathetic. you went from having tens of thousands of people online, to bairly even getting 5k people. and its 90% cause of what yall have done with this site. im sick and tired of TRYING to load a game, because your console tries to load an ad before the game and freezes. leaving "your game is starting" box when thats nothing but a lie. my game doesnt start. it doesnt even get downloaded cause all the box wants to load is the stupid ad. i wrote this entire post waiting for a game to load. and it doesnt even load. truly pathetic
sounds like a personal problem.
Is this for all games or just one or two in particular?

If it's the latter then it might be because of the host's connection, which results in your insane loading times.
If it's the former then it might be because of your connection.

BYOND has improved these past 10 years, considerably and for the better. So please don't go bashing what I presume was a part of your child hood, simply because of loading times. D:
I'm sorry you're having this experience with ads. I can assure you that BYOND is not trying to be greedy in this. Quite the opposite. The site has ads and fundraising so that you can play your favorite games and so that Tom and Lummox can buy ramen. If they stopped pursuing money to keep the site up, it would not stay up. The site clearly has less active people on it lately, but it's not because they started asking for money. Rather, the latter is due in part to the former.

Now, if you're having trouble with the ads and not being able to play games, you should make a bug report so that it can be resolved as soon as possible.
The numbers are due to pick back up soon, it's April. Final exams are underway, and school's getting near letting out. Every year we see a surge of live players during the summer, and a massive drop in the fall, which hits a low in April and May.

Either way, I'm sorry to hear you have been having trouble, and we'd be more than happy to help you with your problem.

What games are you unable to connect to specifically?

What version of BYOND do you have installed?

Did you know you can avoid ads for a period of 12 months for as little as $2 a month? (Sorry, blatant plug, but it's in my contract.)

What OS and service pack are you using?
Sorry love doesn't exactly pay the bills, does it?
People need to eat. You want someone to provide hard work for you to have fun with no pay? You sir live on planet earth. No one is going to make something serious for fun without trying to get some type of income.
Ter13 wrote:
Of course, OP is more than welcome to air their grievances and opinions with the state of BYOND's profit-model in the BYOND discussion subforum.

I thought that was why he posted this in the BYOND Discussion subforum and not the BYOND Help subforum.
Looks like it got moved before I got to it. --Whelp, best let nature take its course, then. Thread's been restored. Have fun.
In response to Mickemoose
Mickemoose wrote:

Unless your a female

In response to LILMESSI18
LILMESSI18 wrote:
Mickemoose wrote:

Unless your a female

BYOND needs to invest in that sort of thing..

Aany way, this issue had occurred before, had to do with flash player or something, IIRC.
And hell, if you want to get rid of the ads and money requests, just go ahead and pay them their $5,000 dollar mark every month.
Byond's problem is anyone who is good at programming makes libs and dumb demos or talk about the inefficient/tinest things, the also belittle the young kids or the inexperienced coders/programmers. the noobs just make there anime games and rip eachother's sources cause that's what kids do stopping that is pointless.

The byond forum is a hostile environment but as i've come to notice a lot of programmers have no humility or patients, and assume everyone should learn how they did and slap the read the book or try to learn another language speel. the amount of the same libs i've see about the same thing around here is ridiculous. there should be so many different types of tutorials for every different type of learner not saying there isn't but not nearly enough and the people who usually make them aren't the super experienced ones. i understand some of the older guys don't necessarily have to time to make a demo but will be the first ones to get in on a dumb conversation on why byond is failing.

its like trying to get a job nowadays, everyone wants you to have experience but no one wants to train you.

that's just my 2 cents, just speaking for all the newbies an undercover programmers of byond.

Heck, in all honesty, BYOND isn't that bad in terms of speed, performance and efficiency, just needs some knowledge on how to work around/with it.
In response to LILMESSI18
Just because you're good at programming, doesn't make you good at making a game.

On a lot of websites, you see "idea guys". You know, the people who sit there, spouting out lots of ideas and stuff, but when it comes to making a game they don't know where to start.
BYONDs the total opposite, lots of people who have the technical proficiency to make a game, very few people creative talent to design a good game.

At least these people are helping by making libraries and demos so someone who has the creative talent to make a game could potentially use these in the future to make a game.

Just remember, making a game is a complex and time consuming endeavor (even with a program like BYOND that makes it easy), even more so for making a good, quality game. You can't expect these people, who are putting in this much time and effort to bend over backwards for people everytime someone asks "how i make henge jutsu system???"
In response to The Magic Man
The Magic Man wrote:
Just because you're good at programming, doesn't make you good at making a game.

On a lot of websites, you see "idea guys". You know, the people who sit there, spouting out lots of ideas and stuff, but when it comes to making a game they don't know where to start.
BYONDs the total opposite, lots of people who have the technical proficiency to make a game, very few people creative talent to design a good game.

At least these people are helping by making libraries and demos so someone who has the creative talent to make a game could potentially use these in the future to make a game.

Just remember, making a game is a complex and time consuming endeavor (even with a program like BYOND that makes it easy), even more so for making a good, quality game. You can't expect these people, who are putting in this much time and effort to bend over backwards for people everytime someone asks "how i make henge jutsu system???"

i do agree though what you said has been said a thousand times, you might've noticed my huge focus on tutorials and the guys who can do something do relatively nothing, yet are the first to talk down to or act like there the holy grail.

i fall much more on the idea's guy/game design said but i do know how to program.
i do agree though what you said has been said a thousand times, you might've noticed my huge focus on tutorials.

We're in need of up-to-date tutorials. If you have the knowledge, and have the time, do, please kick in your hat. I for one, would like to see what you can do.
If I am reading his jumbled post correctly, he is stating that BYOND is disappointing because he is having a bug with his install of BYOND? He is also saying BYOND is disappointing because they are trying to make a little money to keep the services they offer up and running? Those services being free use of the software,and website space for hub entries?

Not to mention they are paying for the web hosting and and putting countless hours of work into the software and such? In my opinion BYOND is not a disappointment, it's the community that is a disappointment to BYOND. Not saying all the community is bad, but it only takes 1 bad apple to ruin the bunch.
I actually think the community is in pretty good shape. I haven't seen any flamewars around these parts in a long time. The old BYONDrama seems to have all but evaporated (due in no small part to our tireless moderation team).